How Can I Capture Headers of Fraud Emails?

Keith Snyder

I'm running Outlook 2002, SP-2 on XP Home Edition.

I get about 3-4 out-and-out fraud emails a week. For
example, a spoof of Citibank whose intent is to trick me
into going to a web site that spoofs Citibank's, inducing me
to provide the fraudulent site with sensitive personal
information.

Another is the notorious Nigerian scam, updated for
Uganda, or Ghana, or wherever.

My Preview pane is always off. For questionable email,
I save it, then view it with Notepad if I want to see what
the email is about. That way the html does not execute.
The html is a little messy to read, but that's ok.

But my problem is, I don't capture email headers this way
to forward to the authorities.

I don't want to open the email in Outlook in order to get
the headers under Options, because I don't want to
trigger the html. God knows what that would do in my
machine.

Any suggestions on getting headers without viewing the
html?

stephen

Right Click > Options.
From: "Keith Snyder" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook
Subject: How Can I Capture Headers of Fraud Emails?
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 15:19:49 -0600

Keith Snyder

Thanks, got it. For me, it is:
Right click -> Properties->Details
then for the headers and msg -> Message source...

--
Keith

Right Click > Options.
From: "Keith Snyder" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 15:19:49 -0600

Keith Snyder

Thanks, got it.

--
Keith

Right Click > Options.
From: "Keith Snyder" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 15:19:49 -0600

shecky

Right click -> Properties->Details
then for the headers and msg ->

You must be using Outlook Express. Because you posted in the Outlook group
and not the OE group I assumed were not using Express.

Keith Snyder

No, just confusion on my part. I'm using Outlook,
but in confusion I tested the suggestion in Outlook Express.
Not enough sleep last night, sorry.