home networking

Reaction score
may be a silly question, but anyway....

I have 2 pc's (main one running xp home, 2nd running pro) and a broadband connection, currently connected via Ethernet card on main pc.

What I want to know is can i connect the two with a (crossover?) cable, and connect to my broadband box with a USB Ethernet adapter? Or will I have to be getting involved with one of these 'hub' things??!!?

Will there be any issues with the xp home/pro thing (i want the main pc running home to be directly connected to the cable box)

Sorry if this is a poor question, or posted in the wrong place, but hey, we were all new to this at one time!!!

Reaction score
I am quite certain that you are ok to do that. If you have a crossover cable, then just try it as plugging a crossover in when you're not supposed to will not damage anything.

I currently have the same setup, but with a hub as I have a few kicking about at home and couldnt be bothered to make up a crossover cable. The only annoyance is that we have to have the 'main' pc on to use the other on the internet.

When I had ntl before, its modem worked on ethernet so I had a router-hub-in-one thing that worked very well, but it won't take a USB modem (like the ADSL one I have now). I mean to look for a router-hub-in-one that will take its internet feed from USB, but don't have time - does anyone know of one?

Iain

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
nogan

You would be better off investing in a Router/hub, a 4port will be ideal.

A router will allow connection to the internet for both systems even when one is turned off ... connect everything up and turn on and it "just works" :D

... ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) can be problematic.

I would personally avoid any USB connection to the internet ... when using Ethernet you have infinite control.

Reaction score
Thanx for the info guys...bought a linksys router and dug hole thru ceiling to pc upstairs!

Just one question though, do you think i still need to run Zonealarm or should i be able to make do with the built infirewall on the router? Btw router is a befsr41.

Thanks again!!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Simple answers yes, run ZoneAlarm as well ... however, you'll find that ZA may/will interfere with the network; you'll have to read-up on that from ZA. I got fed up with ZA, and I had bought the pro version, that I deleted it ... and 'true vector' was still running. It gave me a lot of grief when trying to play games over the network.

One of the reasons I said yes is that Linksys can/will/do leave port 113 open, well closed but not stealthed ... check it out your protection at GRC.

All firewalls can be circumvented if you open attachments. ;)

Reaction score
Been happily running network now since Novemeber, but recently bought a nice shiny new laptop. Thing is, when I bought it I had no intention of connecting it to the current wired network I have...... but now I want to access the 'net from the comfort of my bed and I don't want to tangle myself with wires.

My question is if I buy one these wireless network card things for the lappy, what else do I need to connect it to my BEFSR41 router at the other end? Or do I need one of the router things with wireless "built" in?

Hope you can be of help!!?!! (I'm sure you can!)

Regards

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you want to get wireless internet you will need a somekind of a transmiting device...think they are called acces points? then i guess you can just connect with your wadaya call em...PCMIA laptop addin card thing.

Reaction score
yes they are wireless access points. im thinking of getting one too. u need the main computer with the intetnet connection to be connected to this access point.

then u need an wireless nic card for each pc that is to be connected and an pcmia card for the laptop should u need to connect one to the network.

there are two ways to assign each pc to the wireless network. one to assign each mac card to the hub and i think the other has something do to with the ip address. this will allow the sharing of files, internet connections and of course printers.

phew......... i need some water now!:_)

Reaction score
can you not buy an integrated wireless modem router and then have the other computers connect through that? is the easiest way as just the one box to mess with and all pc's connect independantly.

Reaction score
erm...... what I want to do is leave the current wired network set up as it is (2 pc's wired to router) and add a wireless point for the lappy.... I know I can buy a PCMCIA wireless card thing for the lappy, but is there something I can attatch to the Router I currently have (linksys befrs41) to connect it wirelessly to the laptop for internet access. I'm not sure what this thing would be called or even if it exists?!?

I have seen the Linksys wireless routers (look like mine but with little aerials!) but I don't really want to have to buy one if there is a way around this.

Once again....MANY THANKS in advance!!!!!

Reaction score
i would assume you hook up a wireless access point (without built in modem) to your router via ethernet cable and then connect your lappy to the net with the PCMIA thing from there...

someone else please confirm this im not great on this kind of thing.

chris

Ask a Question