Home Networking

Reaction score
Guys,

Continuing my adventures in DVD burning - do any of you know about how to connect 2 PC's together using a null RJ45 cable? I bought the cable from the bargain table at PC world (the only place I buy from PC World) as it described the cable as being for connecting two PC's together using network ports without a router. There was even a picture of the setup on the back.

I record movies/programmes from my digital TV onto the laptop, and want to copy them over to my desktop for burning onto a DVD. Some of the files are >1GB and this setup seemed the easiest and probably fastest way to do it - only one copy needed, no media involved.

So, I got home and connected the nVidia port on my desktop to the Realtek port on my laptop. After a few moments, the laptop shared documents folder appeared in the explorer window on my desktop and I copied some files across. I was stunned at the "piece of ****" simplicity.

However, despite my best efforts, I can't get it to repeat this!! The network icons show "resolving IP address" and then show "Connected" but I can't see any files other than the machines' local ones. I have a feeling I'm gonna have to muck around with Home Network settings in Windows XP.

Can anyone help out, or explain why the shared folders can't be seen anymore? Don't think I've changed anything. I'm running Norton AV with a nVidia firewall on the desktop, with Norton AV and Windows firewall on the laptop.

I'm going to keep trying and let you guys know if I can sort it.

Cheers,

Reaction score
first of all disable any firewall s/w and try again. failing that run ipconfig /all from the command prompt on both machines and post the info.

Reaction score
Nah, I've sorted it. BTW - I know it gives you a kick, but must you really post people's unmasked IP's? Cheers. We can all pull that ****, jackass.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Jock, it is a trick, only you can see the details ... however if it anoys that much we'll ask Techy to remove it.

:thumb:

Reaction score
Yeah, I've just realised that... searched on his other messages. Well, I guess I've made a jackass of MYSELF on that one! Thanks anyway! Techy - no offence mate.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
No, I wouldn't call you that ... to be honest it anoys me also. ;)

Ask a Question