Home Networking With Pro and Home...HELP

G

Hey Everyone! I am new to the whole home networking thing, and need some serious help! Here is my situation:

I want my desktop (which runs HOME) to be the host PC, and I want my laptop (which runs PRO) to be the client. Both PC's have a Ethernet card (althought the host PC is the one that uses DSL all the time), and I use DSL and Dial Up Internet connection (I work for an Internet Provider). I want the host PC to be "in-charge" of the internet and I want file-sharing between the two. What do I need to do?

Thanks in advance!

C

Chuck

Hey Everyone! I am new to the whole home networking thing, and need some serious help! Here is my situation:

I want my desktop (which runs HOME) to be the host PC, and I want my laptop (which runs PRO) to be the client. Both PC's have a Ethernet card (althought the host PC is the one that uses DSL all the time), and I use DSL and Dial Up Internet connection (I work for an Internet Provider). I want the host PC to be "in-charge" of the internet and I want file-sharing between the two. What do I need to do?

Thanks in advance!

Saporito,

Here are a couple websites with useful tutorials:
http://www.cablesense.com/
http://www.homenethelp.com/

Cheers,
Chuck
Paranoia comes from experience - and is not necessarily a bad thing.

C

Chuck

What about that "Remote Desktop Connection" for? Can it be used for networking>?

Saporito,

Remote Desktop is good for demonstrations, and collaborative efforts. It's a
type of networking. Though everybody can view the RD process on their own
computer, all of the work, and the data, stays on the RD host.

With file sharing, the files involved are treated as if they're resident on your
computer, and all computation is done on your computer.

What do you want to do?

Cheers,
Chuck

G

Chuck,

I mostly want to be able to get information off of my desktop via my laptop, I would also like to be able to print on the printer that is hooked up to my desktop, from my laptop over a network

C

Chuck

Chuck,

I mostly want to be able to get information off of my desktop via my laptop, I would also like to be able to print on the printer that is hooked up to my desktop, from my laptop over a network

That's normal file and printer sharing.

The tutorials should show everything you want to do. Unless you have any
specific questions?

Cheers,
Chuck

Ask a Question