home network

Harvey Mazerolle

Hi:

I have a home network (LAN) set up in my house with four
stations. My main computer picks up the internet and runs
Windows XP Pro. I have an older machine running Windows 98
and a laptop running Windows XP Home. My network was
running fine. But a few wekks ago, I had to have the
motherboard replaced on XP Pro machine. Unfortunately now
the network won't work.

When I get the network running, my main computer cannot
access the internet. If I disable the network, then the
main computer can access the internet.

I don't know what to do. Is there a setting that will
permit me to do both?

Harvey Mazerolle

Jim Macklin

Are you using a router? Are you on DSL or cable? Or were
you using dial-up?

Ideally you would have cable or DSL connecting to a router
and each computer would connect through the router to the
LAN and the Internet.

When you changed the motherboard, I presume it has an
on-board NIC, the MAC address of your computer changed and
the LAN sees it as a "alien machine"

Open your router setup and configure it so it sees the new
mobo, NIC as part of your LAN.

You might be able to do this with XPs wizard, but I think
the router setup is the way to go.

"Harvey Mazerolle" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
| Hi:
|
| I have a home network (LAN) set up in my house with four
| stations. My main computer picks up the internet and runs
| Windows XP Pro. I have an older machine running Windows 98
| and a laptop running Windows XP Home. My network was
| running fine. But a few wekks ago, I had to have the
| motherboard replaced on XP Pro machine. Unfortunately now
| the network won't work.
|
| When I get the network running, my main computer cannot
| access the internet. If I disable the network, then the
| main computer can access the internet.
|
| I don't know what to do. Is there a setting that will
| permit me to do both?
|
| Harvey Mazerolle

Hi:

Yes I am using a router and am on DSL. I had a technician
install my motherboard. But he can't get my network
going. I am not very technical and do not know how to set
my router to my new motherboard.