Windows XP Home network problem

Reaction score
I'm a new member, so apologies if this is the wrong category for network problems.

Desktop and laptop both run XP. They are linked by two “home plugs”, with the desktop connected to the internet and a printer, and until a week ago the network was fine. I have not made any conscious changes, although some programs have been updated.

The symptoms are:

• Neither PC can access the shared folders of the other
  • Both can access internet
  • laptop cannot access printer
  • Laptop can ping desktop
  • Desktop cannot ping laptop
Desktop runs ZoneAlarm firewall, Spybot, Windows Defender and Norton Antivirus. Uninstalling ZoneAlarm has no effect. Both Windows firewalls are turned off. Laptop runs Bullguard antivirus.

Printer and file sharing are enabled. Computer names and workgroup are set up correctly.

Desktop is 192.168.0.1 (255.255.255.0)

Laptop is 192.168.0.2 (255.255.255.0)

A separate, though possibly related problem, is that the desktop cannot connect to my FTP site (although I can ping it by name or IP). The same effect occurs at the command prompt, ie before name and password are requested.

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
XP is wierd. I notice that, in my adventures in computer networking, there are issues with the XP TCP/IP stack.

There is no easy way to remove and reinstall TCP/IP like in previous versions of Windows. You would think that removing and reinstalling Communications would take care of that. It is not the case with XP.

To do this.
1. Click Start, then RUN
2. Type CMD in the box and click OK
3. at the command prompt type NETSH_INT_IP_RESET_RESETLOG.TXT where the underscores are spaces, only one space between words.
4. hit enter. the cursor will move to the line below, then return to the prompt as if nothing has happened.

At this point, the TCP/IP has been rebuilt. This process may be necessary if there is ANY version of AOL installed. Many programs that need internet access may alter these files and cause corruption, which in turn causes issues with connections.

-surfer

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
from what i see here, based on IP addressing, you have each unit statically assigned?

are they configured to go thru a router? Is there a network switch involved? can you detail "home Plugs"?

what happens when you try to ping the other unit? desktop to laptop and vice versa. do you get a reply timed out?

What file system are you using? FAT or NTFS. this makes a difference when trying to access files. NTFS can access FAT but FAT cannot access NTFS. I assume that this is not the case based on your "it worked before" situation. but to figure out what the issue may be, it's a necessary piece of information.

Reaction score
Both computers use NTFS. Addresses are statically assigned. There is no router or switch. Each is connected via an ethernet cable to a "homeplug" that plugs into a mains socket, and uses the domestic 240v wiring to carry the data to the other homeplug.
The laptop can ping the desktop and get a reply, but I get "timed out" from desktop to laptop.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
have you added anything to the electrical circuit near the desktop? did you move the "home plug" to another outlet?

if so, you may have added noise to the line with the extra device, or changed the ability to be more direct with the data on the line.

since you have a laptop, i would really recommend trying either an ethernet crossover cable directly from PC to laptop, or trying with a switch. this will eliminate the possibility that you have an electrical issue within the room.

try a closer outlet for the laptop, possibly one within the room as the PC.

on the FTP note, is the FTP running on the desktop? with the addition of this information, you may have an issue on just the PC side. What happens when you ping a loopback address of 127.0.0.1? this runs data thru the IP stack and will help determine if you have TCP/IP issues within the software. I assume that it will work fine, since you have run the netsh command. this fixes the TCP/IP stack.

- surfer

Reaction score
The setup is the same as I have been using successfully for 3 years: both computers in the same room, although the network used to be fine with the laptop anywhere in the house. I have not added any electrical equipment.
Pinging 127.0.0.1 works ok.
I feel I must have made a change that I can't remember.
Thanks for your efforts.

Reaction score
I have found the solution.
I ran the Powerpacket utility that comes with the homeplugs, and found that after it recognised the network adaptor on the desktop, but only instantaneously recognised the adaptor on the laptop (and through it the desktop adaptor), before it disappeared form the screen.
This implied there was something in the laptop that was blocking it. I turned the Bullguard firewall off and it all works. I should have suspected this firewall earlier but it has always been on for 3 years and I have not altered the settings. I can only assume that an update to Bullguard has caused a reversion to default settings.
I am now trying to modify the settings to enable networking whilst the Bullguard firewall is enabled.
Thanks for your help.

Ask a Question