Holiday First Aid Kit

Reaction score
Off on my holidays in September and thinking of putting together a First Aid Kit for the trip?
Have looked at Boots and buy a kit and add what i need or just make my own up?
Have others done this before and what to look for?

It's only as a back up and first sign of trouble it's to a hospital!!!
Any help or advice would be most welcome.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Depends where you're going.

UK - a few Elastoplasts and a small tin of Vaseline.

Deepest, darkest Africa - the above plus insect repellent, anti malarial drugs, needles and syringes, antihistamines, painkillers, anti diarrhoea medication, adhesive tape, bandages and probably some antibiotics. And don't forget to get all your jabs - Cholera, Yellow Fever, Rabies, Typhoid, Hepatitis A, B and C, Meningococcal Meningitis and possibly TB.

Have a good holiday. :D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Possible one of these for any tooth problems:

Dentanurse kit: You have everything you need to dress broken teeth, fix dislodged fillings and inlays and repair broken crowns or bridges. The specially formulated temporary cement helps to prevent thermal shock to exposed nerves and to restore appearance and function quickly. Tough enough for most emergencies it's also easily and quickly removed by your own dentist once you are able to attend for treatment.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Alka Seltzer :D

Where are of you off to? :)

If you're somewhere with mozzies, get some antihistamine cream for if/when you're bitten.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
It's probably cheaper to put a kit together yourself - we have a little zip up bag of various bits and pieces that we always take with us when we go away. In addition to the items mentioned above, paracetamol and ibuprofen are an essential IMO - if you're in pain it's so much easier if you have painkillers with you.

Where are you off to?

Reaction score
Only off to France but the dental kit is a good idea plus alka seltzer.
The trip might include beer, wine and congac but not a lot!
But do think making up my own is a good idea.
Thanks for the views and advice folks.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If you look at first aid kits on industrial premises then interestingly enough they contain exactly what the cabinet's label says - aids to be used in the first instance following an accident. Which will typically be large gauze swab pads to stem bleeding, bandages, slings and eye baths. And not a lot else. No sticking plasters or aspirins in there.

Medical items gathered for journeys and stays away from home should maybe have a different title, something like 'Mobile medicine bag' or something.

I would take, off the top of my head: Mild painkillers, such as aspirin or nurofen; alka-seltzer; liquid Gaviscon; A bottle of Optrex and an eyebath; a box of various sized sticking plasters; some large absorbent swabs; a tube of germolene or savlon; a pair of tweezers (splinters) and some anti-histamine cream. And a hip flask of cognac :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
just list your next-of-kin on your mobile fone, sorted! :)

Ask a Question