Hmmm, no legacy drivers?

V

Vic

I posted earlier with a sound issue, ref: XP and sound with old apps
There was no solution.

May have found the problem though. XP has legacy audio drivers
(settings, control panel, sound etc, hardware tab, legacy audio drivers, properties)
My setup, which is new, not much installed, has ZERO listed!

Hmmm, wonder what W2K looks like. Went there and a SLEW of all kinds of stuff was there (I mean a LOT). I believe it is there by
default because W2K is mainly used as a 'hot rod' for multimedia production so software installations are kept to a minimum. So why
does W2K have all these legacy drivers (which btw: W2K plays an old ATLAS software package I'm trying to get working in XP) and XP
has ZERO drivers?

I found no way to have them install. Can someone please explain why the box is blank, and how one has legacy drivers installed?

Thanks a lot
Vic

G

GreenieLeBrun

Vic said:
I posted earlier with a sound issue, ref: XP and sound with old apps
There was no solution.

May have found the problem though. XP has legacy audio drivers
(settings, control panel, sound etc, hardware tab, legacy audio drivers, properties)
My setup, which is new, not much installed, has ZERO listed!

Hmmm, wonder what W2K looks like. Went there and a SLEW of all kinds of stuff was there (I mean a LOT). I believe it is there by
default because W2K is mainly used as a 'hot rod' for multimedia production so software installations are kept to a minimum. So why
does W2K have all these legacy drivers (which btw: W2K plays an old ATLAS software package I'm trying to get working in XP) and XP
has ZERO drivers?

I found no way to have them install. Can someone please explain why the box is blank, and how one has legacy drivers installed?

You have loaded the sound card drivers that came with your machine
haven't you?

V

Vic

GreenieLeBrun said:
You have loaded the sound card drivers that came with your machine
haven't you?

Yes, the MOBO is only a couple of years old, uses onboard audio, Realtek AC'97 audio software!

___

G

GreenieLeBrun

Vic said:
GreenieLeBrun said:

Yes, the MOBO is only a couple of years old, uses onboard audio, Realtek AC'97 audio software!

___

Did the sound ever work?
Are the speakers plugged into the correct socket?
Have you done or installed any Microsoft updated sounnd card drivers?
If so try rolling them back to an earlier version.
Try reinstalling the original drivers that came with the mother board.

V

Vic

Update: still no legacy drivers installed! Rather puzzling. I've formatted and reinstalled four times already and cannot get those
drivers to install. And btw, I'm inclined to think XP installs these (not Realtek) although I'm not sure.

Another thing, this is a multi boot system, W2K is onboard and the legacy driver section is loaded for bear and the atlas software
works like a champ. Same MOBO, same audio software, and XP is suppose to have much better backward compatibility than W2K.
<scratching the ol' bean>

Well, I am open to suggestions for how to have those drivers install! And is this an XP issue (XP not installing drivers) or Realtek
software issue, anybody know?

TA
Vic

V

Vic

Well, software now works!
Typed the EXACT error message into Google (what a GREAT search engine) and the first link
http://www.learnatglobal.com/html/xp_sound.html was the right one. Hurray!

Still does not answer why the legacy drivers are not installed ... but that's for another day.

Thanks for all your help!
This is a great NG
Vic
___

Ask a Question