HL2 disc problem

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
after i reformatted my harddrive i decieded to reinstall HL2 to see how my system handled it. well when i was installing it, it was going fine until i put the 4th disc when promted but then it gave me a error saying that it could find a certain file (unsure which one) or that my dvd drive is damaged. i doubt its either on since the disc is in perfect condition, and i used the same drive to install HL2 before and it works with all my other insatllations. well im going to check with Steam, if any one has any answers i would like to know. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Can you copy the file to your hard drive manually (if you try it again to see which one it was?). It could just be a fluke that will iron itself out if you try again :)

Other than that, you might need to ring them for a replacement disk.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
i have tried twice, i will try it again what could have happened to the disc?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you've done it twice then perhaps the disk got scratched? :(

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
highly doubt it, cd is perfect... maybe my dvd drive?

Reaction score
Alf, try to burn disk four onto another clean CD-R. Then try the burned disk, I'm going to say its the disk, I know it looks perfect but whos to say there isn't a defect and you were lucky with the first install. Also, didn't the first 3 out of 4 install, if so I highly doubt its the drive.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
one problem, no cd burner. and im not willing to buy one for a game. :D

Reaction score
Alf said:
after i reformatted my harddrive i decieded to reinstall HL2 to see how my system handled it. well when i was installing it, it was going fine until i put the 4th disc when promted but then it gave me a error saying that it could find a certain file (unsure which one) or that my dvd drive is damaged. i doubt its either on since the disc is in perfect condition, and i used the same drive to install HL2 before and it works with all my other insatllations. well im going to check with Steam, if any one has any answers i would like to know. :)

was';nt hl2 on a dvd disc.

Try e:_mailing the company

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
i could only find the CD version unfourtunatly

Ask a Question