HL2 and "Clipping issues"

Reaction score
All,

Been having problems with my FX5200 card. Since the steam update graphics got very jerky on HL2, but DM and CS:S were ok. Despite many attempts I couldn't fix the issue. After biting the bullet and going for one all out last attempt, went through all the suggestions as per Steams forum, removed all video/GART drivers etc..used Driver Cleaner and reinstalled the beta 81.84 drivers. Success! Partially.. The original issue of being very jerky has been eradicated but I have a new issue. I don't know the technical term but on HL2, DM and CS:S when moving around, the walls/ground etc will all go black then return to how they should be. I will have part of the screen showing everything as it should be and parts showing black where the walls etc should be and then they will return.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Ian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thats normally a driver issue when it does that, but if you change back you might end up with the old problems again :( Have you tried many of the 7x.xx driver varients?

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I could only get half life 2 to work with the late 5x.xx series drivers on my sisters computer. Took me a while to figure it out too, it was a sad day :(.

Nvidia Driver Archives - Note there only for Windows XP/2000

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Thats normally a driver issue when it does that, but if you change back you might end up with the old problems again :( Have you tried many of the 7x.xx driver varients?
:thumb:
Thanks Ian. After trying about half a dozen drivers got it all working again using the 78.05 drivers!

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
its good to know you've got it working right, how does it manage ?

Reaction score
Hi Me,

Pretty good actually. I've had numerous issues since changing card and the Steam update. Loads of clipping, jerkiness and stuttering. I had tried everything short of reformatting, which I wasn't going to do for 1 game. I've left all the default settings which are set to high and it's running better than I've ever had it, so I won't lower the settings to medium, which I realistically expected the card to handle, unless I notice obvious slowdown. CS:Source is running like a dream, but I think I've found a bug in that as I keep getting killed! :rolleyes:

Ask a Question