Half Life 2 & new card issues

Reaction score
Hi there,

I've been playing Half Life 2 up until very recently using a nVidia GeForce4 MX440 with AGP 8x(64mb). The game ran absolutely fine in 1024 x 768 with Medium settings. I've replaced the card with a Leadtek WinFast A340TD GeForce FX 5200 256MB DDR TV-Out/DVI (AGP) due to needing dual screen capability. As this card is slightly better than the previous one I expected HL2 to run just as before, but it doesn't. It's very jerky, even in low settings. I've installed the latest drivers. Online HL2 and CS:Source run fine. All the other games I have run fine also.

Could you offer any suggestions please?

Many thanks,

Ian

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Probably because your old card was playing it on Direct X7 settings and your new card is trying to play it on Direct X9 settings. You should try and downgrade it in the half life 2 settings to direct x 7 or 8.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Do you know which Nvidia drivers you have?

Cos V77.72 was complete pants.

Make sure you have at least V77.77 or higher.

Latest version is 81.84 (Beta) or 78.01 (WHQL)

All available Here

Reaction score
Driver Date is 02/08/2005
Driver Version is 7.8.0.1
Downloaded from the nVidia site. The Leadtek site shows the driver being v 66.93?

Am I being extremely stupid here somewhere??! :confused:

Will have a go at the Direct X.

I've attached a couple of screenshots. I'm not sure what the Speed Runner does and if I should change it? Not got much experience on this front I'm afraid.. The other image is just a bit of info.

speed.gif

winfast.gif

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Reaction score
try doing a windows update to upgrade your hardware? also mess around with your hl2 settings, maybe it is because u have a slow hdd and cant output that much hl2 single player data? were u playing hl2 single player with ur old gfx card and it worked fine? how much RAM u have? ur gfx card might need more. i am not good with these kind of probs but just putting in my input!

Reaction score
5200 issues on counter strike

arial ive had problems playing counter strike source due to the update the other month my frame rate lowered so i looked into it further and noticed its locked on direct x9 instead of 8 its not allowing me to change the video hardware to direct x8 and it leaves me with 20 fps with low graphics

im using a 1700+ and 640 mb RAM fx 5900 oc core clock to 280 250 standard 80gb hard drivenf2 motherboardany sugestions? :thumb: tthanks

Reaction score
5200 issues

That helped alot thanks m8 really apreshiate it it worked wonders but the only last thing is im changin graphics cards which ones gona help me more on my frame rate a geforce fx 5900 over clocked or a 6600? thanks

pikakilla

Proud Cruncher!
Reaction score
6600gt? or just a 6600
go for a gt if you can,looking at your specs though the pc is starting to look old,
a new cpu is needed also, even if you put a 7800gt it wouldnt do a great deal

Ask a Question