Half Life 2 Goodness

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
This game rocks. Superb graphics, great storyline, good gameplay.

Bought it today. I feel like a very bad boy at the moment, I've spent £130.00 in the last month or so on games :blush: Doom3; Rome: Total War; Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 and now Half Life 2. Still, it's winter, I ain't going out much, and as far as I'm concerned, all those are 'must-haves'.

I really do think I'm going to have to get a better video card though. My ATI 9800 Pro is struggling with Doom 3 and HL2 at 1068 x 764. I mean, they're both working fine, but very occasionally, I'll get a stutter.

An Nvidia 6800GT is winking at me somewhere.

Anyways, if you're thinking about buying HL2 - do so, it's quite superb :cool:

It also has just about the longest installation time I've ever known, you have to activate it online, and it takes quite a while. It also auto-updates/patches when you do this. I also loaded on the Steam Engine and there's Counter Strike: Source included, but I haven't tried this yet.

Well, with those four games, should keep me busy until the snow's melted next year ;)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Do you have any screen shots of it? I'm one for eye-candy :)

Reaction score
I'm waiting for my new 6800 before i rush out screaming like a little girl to buy it, i can't wait! :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Matt Jason H said:
I'm waiting for my new 6800 before i rush out screaminly like a little girl to buy it, i can't wait! :D
You saw me run out the front door and down to the local GAME store today, didn't you? :D

Techy: Probably won't be selling either 9800 Pro, sorry. If I upgraded, I'd replace my Hercules 8500 card with it in my lowest specced system.

4 systems here, using: ATI 9800 Pro; Powercolour 9800 Pro; Nvidia FX5700 (256Mb) and a Hercules Radeon 8500. So there's still life in that card if I buy a better one.

Ian: I'll see what I can do about a few screen shots, it's 'F5' I think.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I got it this morning too :D.

What a game, ive never played a FPS like this before, just pure excellence! If you own a decent comp, get this game now!

Reaction score
Downloaded it thru steam ages ago and after I finally got it authenticated which took ages, it didn't work!!!

But (thank god) it was a common problem so just had to download another file which took another half an hour and then finally I was able to play it

First impressions are amazing, so much detail

Took 5 years to make but finally we have it

Reaction score
Take a look at the steam forums. You might want to buy an ati card it you're going to buy one purely for half-life 2. The performance difference between the 2 card manufacturers is quite staggering. This is one situation where ati whoops nvidia and this is a factual statement not my own opinion (for all you nvidia lovers out there)

Purely out of interest, have u overclocked your Radeon 9800pro at all flops ? Mine's practically smoking it's running so fast :p and its eating doom 3, far cry and even half-life 2 surprisingly for breakfast. Thats with some eye candy on to incase u thought i had it turned down to 800x600 with bilinear filtering on :p

Reaction score
JonnySpam said:
Take a look at the steam forums. You might want to buy an ati card it you're going to buy one purely for half-life 2. The performance difference between the 2 card manufacturers is quite staggering. This is one situation where ati whoops nvidia and this is a factual statement not my own opinion (for all you nvidia lovers out there)
Thought it was the exact opposite, with nVidia being FAR better in HL2

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
OK, here's a random selection of screen shots, probably not the best to show the game off, it just happens to be where I am at the moment.

Not sure what the quality will be like, reduced from 1024 width to 900 for posting:

hl201.jpg

hl202.jpg

hl203.jpg

hl204.jpg

hl205.jpg

hl206.jpg

Reaction score
JonnySpam said:

Purely out of interest, have u overclocked your Radeon 9800pro at all flops ? Mine's practically smoking it's running so fast :p and its eating doom 3, far cry and even half-life 2 surprisingly for breakfast. Thats with some eye candy on to incase u thought i had it turned down to 800x600 with bilinear filtering on :p

But ATI don't have Linux drivers, case closed.

pikakilla

Proud Cruncher!
Reaction score
wow
does this mean my 9800 pro has found a game it likes at last
nice pics flops by the way!

Kye

Reaction score
i got this this morning. installation was a suprise, took ages but i guess its worth it, depending on how careful the publisers wanna be.

it runs on highest settings with 4XAA and 8X the other one i wont dare spell...
this is with a vanilla 6800, 1 gig generic ram and a 3000+ A64 socket 754.

im sure some people will miss a few parts which make the game amazing...the little details which make the world feel alive. if you go in too fast, you miss all the quality events that take place.

ravenholm is the best level i have EVER played in a FPS. im currently...very fun, and creepy seeing some of the corpses. the grav gun is somthing you need too experience too know the fun it is too do anything with that gun, be it killing...or building somthing with boxes :D

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Just some of my random print screens of this amazing game, enjoy ;).

Attachments

• Before.JPG
    Before.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 226
  • After.JPG
    After.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 230
  • A Present From Alyx.JPG
    A Present From Alyx.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 1,461
  • Crab Head.JPG
    Crab Head.JPG