Windows Vista Hints, Tips & Tweaks

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
One should always use the num keypad in conjunction with Alt.

One should, should one? Well one would if one bleedin' well knew wouldn't one? :rolleyes:

Mr Mucks, when giving instructions one should always assume total ignorance on the part of the recipient :)

Now resolved ... :p

Aye, I guess so, that's something I learnt today eh? ;)

Klick on something, the box will go away. :rolleyes:

Sussed it :thumb: My Recycle bin icon is now gloriously free of text :)

Hey! at least I like Vista. :wave:

I haven't as yet said I totally dislike Vista, have I?

All in all, it's growing on me but I'm aware of the parts of it I don't like.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
In windows Vista the Default folders for My computer, My Pictures, My Documents, My Music are now called ... we always get name changes in a new OS. :D Computer, Pictures, Music and Documents and are located at: C:\Users\your user name\Pictures, Documents and so on ...

But if you like, you can keep these files in a different location or hard drive. I don't recommend using an external drive.

You can easily change the default location for these folders.

Here’s how.

1. Create a new folder where you want to store your files, or if you want to use and existing folder skip this step.
  2. Open the default folder (where your files are now) C:\Users\your_user name\documents. (We’ll use Documents for this tip)
  3. Right click the Documents folder and choose Properties.
  4. Click the Location tab, and in the location box you will see the default location.
  5. Click the Move button and navigate to where you want the default folder to be. (from step 1) then click Select Folder.
  6. The new default location will now be displayed in the location box. Click apply.
  7. The Move folder dialog box will now appear and ask if you want to move all the files from the old location to the new location. Click yes.
  8. You will see the files being moved, then click OK to finish.
  9. If you want to move your other default folders just use the same steps as above.
The main point of doing it this way is, as opposed to just making a new folder somewhere, Vista will now know to use the new default location.

:user:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Task Manager ... keyboard shortcut

Task Manager shows you the programs, processes, and services that are currently running on your computer.

You can use Task Manager to monitor your computer's performance or to close a program that is not responding.

If you are connected to a network, you can also use Task Manager to view network status and see how your network is functioning. If more than one user is connected to your computer, you can see who is connected, what they are working on, and you can send them a message.

In Windows XP to enter the Task Manager you press CTRL + ALT + DELETE ... while this also works in Vista, there is, a slightly better way to do the same job, use ... CTRL + SHIFT + ESC instead. ;)

You can also open Task Manager by right-clicking an empty area on the taskbar and then clicking Task Manager.

Another Microsoft top tip. :D

user.gif

muckshifter

Reaction score
Vista Aero ... an interesting observation

A post here on PCR led me to investigate why Aero & the Side Bar shuts-down, actually seems to self disable, when launching certain programs, especially games.

Well, that's because it does self disable when launching a Vista certified program that benefit from doing so ... such as games. :D

I found a nice easy way of doing this for other programs ...

You might be concerned with squeezing every last bit of performance out of your machine, or may have compatibility problems between Aero and an application that you are running. Either way you are looking for the simplest way to disable Aero while running that application, and this is it.
You can edit the properties of a shortcut and tell Windows to automatically disable Aero as soon as you start that application, and then re-enable it again once the application is closed.

Simply right-click on the shortcut and choose Properties, and then the Compatibility tab:

Now on the Settings block check the box for "Disable desktop composition" in order to disable Aero the next time you use the shortcut.

If you are having other compatibility problems I'd recommend using the compatibility modes on this same dialog.
... :thumb:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...-running-an-application-such-as-a-video-game/

:user:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Brilliant!!! Thanks for that last tip Mucks, it had been getting in the way of one of my applications so now I can solve this :)

Ask a Question