Hibernate or Standby restarts in a few seconds

Windows XP Professional
SP 2
1 GB Ram

When I use either hibernate or standby the process seems to be working- Goes
through " now hibernating", shuts down and then restarts in a few seconds.

Looking for ideas on how to fix or troubleshoot

Unk

Windows XP Professional
SP 2
1 GB Ram

When I use either hibernate or standby the process seems to be working- Goes
through " now hibernating", shuts down and then restarts in a few seconds.

Looking for ideas on how to fix or troubleshoot

Look at your BIOS settings for your modem and LAN. (Like "Wake on LAN")

Drew Tognola

RJ,

I had this problem when updating my 'Linksys LNE100TX(v4) Fast Ethernet
Adapter' to version 5 (v5). I needed to go to the Device Manager > expand
(+) Network Adapters > right-click your adapter & select 'Properties'. With
my Linksys adapter I then select the 'Advanced' tab. Any options containing
'wakeup' should be disabled.

On the 'Linksys LNE100TX(v5) Fast Ethernet Adapter' disable:
-Link Wakeup (Off/On)
-Link Wakeup (On/Off)
-Magic Packet Wakeup
-Pattern Match Wakeup

Drew

Hello.

Could you resolve your problem?

Because I have now the same...

After having trouble with some VPN Clients (Cisco and Nortel) which seemed
to prevent hibernate and standby to work (were hanging) now (after fuzzing
arround with those VPN clients, de-/installing, etc.) standby seems to work,
but after hibernating the notebook resumes immediately.

My BIOS doens't even have ACPI options like wakeup on LAN etc.
And I didn't find any Hardware in Device-Manager with such option set.
I also disabled "Restart after crash"...

Yet, ... it resumes after hibernaring.

Any hint appreciated!
Harald Henkel

Drew Tognola

Harald,

Does your mouse (Control Panel > Mice & other pointing devices, double-click
your mouse driver) have any 'Power Mgt' tabs allowing it to return from
standby/hibernation? The smallest mouse movement will activate. Though it
doesn't sound like that's your problem, it can't hurt to look.

Drew

Michel Merlin

The related message below may help. In short, call Microsoft and
ask "I want the hotfix of KB909095"; MS will send you a free
2.5MB file that fixes the problem.

See below "The reason: ...".

Paris, Thu 17 Aug 2006 15:52:40 +0200

----- Parent Message (links are clickable) -----