Hey guys, Need advice:)

Reaction score
Hey guys, connor here.
Just writing because i REALLY want a laptop.
Im only 15 so i don't know all the specs i need.
I want a laptop because i like the portability and it being so small.
I really don't know which laptop to get, as im not sure on which specs i need for what i want.
I don't plan on the replacing the laptop for 2-3 years if i was to get one, maybe upgrading it though.
I will mainly be using this to run World Of Warcraft(Sad i know:p) and to be able to listen to quality music, films etc.
I plan on getting into I.T when im older so it would be ideal for college.

My price range is around 400~ probably 460 max.

Please help me you guys.

Thanks.
Connor.

Reaction score
oo that one looks nice, forgot to say. My dad said it would be best to have dedicated graphics, preferably Nvidia, simply because i can upgrade it.
Also, went through pc world currys etc the other day and under Ghz it said Mghz?

What are Mghz, Like some laptopts had 500mhz some had 800+

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
This looks for for £400.00.

Note that the price is only after £50.00 cashback.

Has integrated graphics, not sure if it would play WOW, I don't know the game's video requirements.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Heres a nice Notebook for the money its just a tad over your budget but you get a 17" screen and dedicated 256MB ram ATI 3430 Graphics cards..For that money you should rip there arm off quick

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Hewlett_Packard_6830s_Laptop_83352424/version.asp

And for your information and your Dads you can't upgrade graphics cards in Laptops, They are normally soldered onto the laptops systemboard..:nod:

You can in some cases insert external graphics cards into a special slot on the outside case of some laptops but these are very high end models costing at least twice your budget..;)

Hope that helps you squire..:thumb:

Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
Connor do you read other people posts?

This has been explained to you already :)

Yes i do, but he said MGhz, im saying Mhz, I thought they were different things.

I thought that Ghz was your processor speed and then it says 500Mhz:S

So laptops with more Mhz obviously run faster? or..

Reaction score
1000Mhz = 1Ghz

so 500Mhz = .5Ghz

Again it was explained in the link mate that i posted a few replies back ;)

500Mhz for a CPU nowadays is really quite slow even in a Laptop

1000Mhz = 1Ghz

so 500Mhz = .5Ghz

He has not dropped the 'G' when writing speeds the 'G' is dropped

Well usually!

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just where does it state 500Mhz (Megahertz - 1 million cycles per second) in that link?

Nearest reference I can see is data bus speed of 533 Mhz which is of little concern to you to be quite honest.

The laptop crazylegs linked to is actually quite a superb machine for the money, I'd go the extra mile and get that one.

Look, with your budget, be not concerned with Mhz, Ghz etc, just look at the specs and think of WOW online, 'k?

Reaction score
Ah ok cheers, U might of answered this but its annoying me.

It states that the laptop is 2ghz yet underneath it says that it is 500mhz, sorry im just a bit confused

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Connor MGhz and Mhz are the same thing mate they are just an abbreviation for the word Megahertz which is the clock cycle speed that the Processor runs at, and yes the higher the faster..

There are a few laptops that the good folk on here have posted up for you to consider, the list is not exhaustive and you may even find more value for money elsewhere if you look around long enough..:nod:

Good luck in purchasing your laptop mate..:thumb:

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Just where does it state 500Mhz (Megahertz - 1 million cycles per second) in that link?

Nearest reference I can see is data bus speed of 533 Mhz which, with is of little concern to you.

The laptop crazylegs linked to is actually quite a superb machine for the money, I'd go the extra mile and get that one.

Look, with your budget, be not concerned with Mhz, Ghz etc, just look at the specs and think of WOW online, 'k?

Ah, ok Cheers^_^, Do you reckon that could run WoW smoothly? Inc all accessories and Vista etc?

Wow Req: 1GB Ram, Intel pentium 4 1.5ghz

Reaction score
crazylegs said:
Connor MGhz and Mhz are the same thing mate they are just an abbreviation for the word Megahertz which is the clock cycle speed that the Processor runs at, and yes the higher the faster..

There are a few laptops that the good folk on here have posted up for you to consider, the list is not exhaustive and you may even find more value for money elsewhere if you look around long enough..
nod.gif

Good luck in purchasing your laptop mate..:thumb:

Thanks crazylegs, and cheers for the help:)

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Connor_roberts said:
Ah, ok Cheers^_^, Do you reckon that could run WoW smoothly? Inc all accessories and Vista etc?

Wow Req: 1GB Ram, Intel pentium 4 1.5ghz

And for your information yes Wow will run smooth as you like on the Laptop that I recommended to you..:D

Reaction score
crazylegs said:
And for your information yes Wow will run smooth as you like on the Laptop that I recommended to you..:D

Ah ok, The laptop you linked. It says it is a 1.8ghz dual core, Thats not the highest out of the most laptops for that price.
Does the centrino 2 add up for it? and what major difference will it have compared to a 2Ghz~ laptop?

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Its 1.8GHZ and dual core which means it has 2 processors running side by side for added performance..

Its not the fastest out there for the money but it has its own dedicated ATI graphics card and 17" screen and 3GB of Ram running Vista Home Premium with built in webcam, a 250GB hard drive for storing all your programs and built in wireless and Bluetooth...It'll also p*ss WOW which is what you wanted, and is just reachable with your budget..

Yes you can get a faster processor for the money but you'll also get a much smaller screen and non dedicated Graphics card..

You pays your money and takes your choice...
nod.gif
and thats the last I'm saying on this matter as I have other business to attend to..

Good luck Connor..
happywave.gif

Last edited:

Ask a Question