Here's an interesting one...

Reaction score
Guys,

Nothing to do with CPUs, overclocking, water cooling or anything. But get this:

Sometimes, when I shut down. The "Scroll Lock" light on my keyboard stays lit. It's totally random, and I have no idea why. Points to note:

1. It's not on when I shut down
2. It's a second keyboard, and the last one did it too
3. I can't wake the machine up with any keypresses, so I don't think it's standby
4. Obviously if I flip the mains switch, after about 4 secs it dies
5. On start-up I get the usual all-lights flash once and there's no prob

Anyone ever heard of this???? I think it's wierd!!

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
has it completely shut down or is it still thinking about it ?

Reaction score
Well it was on when I went to bed, and still on 7 hours later! The machine has shut down fine.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
it took 7 hours to shut down ? or it was on for 7 hours then you turned it off and it shutdown as normal ?

Reaction score
No, the machine shuts down fine. I thought you meant does the light stay on as the last bit of the shutdown sequence.

As I say, it shuts down fine, no problems, and boots up okay. It's just that little keyboard light stays on.

You know, I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the SP2 automatic updates. When you go to shut down, it gives you an extra option; you can either install and shutdown, or shutdown without install. I have been shutting down without installing the last couple of nights - I wonder if it has anything to do with that? I could try it now.

Reaction score
there has been a few updates you have had to update recently :) ... was it happening before your computer was asking you for the updates ?

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
dont worry Jock, the same thing happens to me all the time and i think nothing of it. :)
i dont think it will do your keyboard any harm

Reaction score
You know I think you're right. Bollocks to it. I shut down without installing the updates and there was no scroll lock light, then I installed them, shut down and still no light. I don't know when it'll appear again. Who cares - it just bugs me to think that somewhere inside that rig there is a little bit set to 1 when it should probably be at 0... somewhere..... I can see it, it's looking out at me laughing....

Ask a Question