Help with Windows 2000

Reaction score
Hi, my windows 2000 laptop has broken and won't load up.

I get the error message: winnt\system32\config\system is corrupt or missing

I have read other websites and they say to load up the recovery console using floppy disks/CDROM etc.

However i cannot get to a point in the startup where i can press F8/del etc to boot from a different device.

I only get one option and that is to load network settings from which there are no options that help.

It suggests using Windows 2000 Setup using the setup floppy disk and selecting 'r' at the first screen but i can't even get to this first screen.

Please help

Cheers

RHYS

Reaction score
make sure first boot device is CD in your BIOS

when the computer starts hit the delete key to get into your BLUE bios and then look in a section called BOOT ORDER.

In here you must make sure first boot device is set as CD/DVD ROM. Then save settings and restart the PC. Make sure the CD is in the drive. Then just after your POST screen you should get the following:

"Press any key to boot up from CD"
Press a key and bingo!

Then hopefully it will go into the Windows 2000 installation from which you must press R at a point in the installation.
Be careful not to install anything. You aim to repair the installation not reinstall. Reinstalling would be the last option.

You'll have to google to find out what you must enter into the repair console.

Reaction score
Worst case scenario = Damaged HDD.
If you cannot boot to CD, then I suggest you remove the HDD, fit it to an external 3.5 disc caddy and connect to a separate PC.

Then run chkdsk /f against the volume.

Had to do this recently with a laptop 30gb HDD which was severely knackered.
Resolution: New HDD + WinXP installation = happy laptop.

Very hard to advise remotely whether you've reached this point.

Reaction score
psd99 said:
make sure first boot device is CD in your BIOS

when the computer starts hit the delete key to get into your BLUE bios and then look in a section called BOOT ORDER.

thanks for reply psd99, but i can't get to BIOS at all, there's no option to press delete or f12 or anything except for some network thing which isnt applicable.

Reaction score
AbsoluteKevster said:
If you cannot boot to CD, then I suggest you remove the HDD, fit it to an external 3.5 disc caddy and connect to a separate PC.

Thanks AK, will the laptop HDD be able to connect via IDE to normal PCs or will i have to buy one of these external things? PS, laptop HDD is quite old.

cheers again

RHYS

Ask a Question