Help with defragmenting my harddrive and chkdsk

G

Trying to defragment my harddrive but I get an error message that chkdsk /f is scheduled to run, please run chkdsk /f

When I try to run chkdsk /f I get message that it can't lock the disc as it is in use bu another process, would I like it to run on system startup

I select yes and then restart, but it doesn't run

Help me please, I don't know where I am going wrong and would be very grateful for any solutions, help and tips

Thank you

M

Malke

griggs79 said:
Trying to defragment my harddrive but I get an error message that
chkdsk /f is scheduled to run, please run chkdsk /f

When I try to run chkdsk /f I get message that it can't lock the disc
as it is in use bu another process, would I like it to run on system
startup

I select yes and then restart, but it doesn't run

Help me please, I don't know where I am going wrong and would be very
grateful for any solutions, help and tips

Thank you

Do you have ZoneAlarm version 5? If so, there is an issue with it. I
don't know if it has been fixed or not, but if you do have this program
go to Zonelabs website and check on it.

Malke

G

Thank you very much.

Just to let other people know I have found a way around this problem. In Zonelarm uncheck the "Load ZoneAlarm at startup" box, then restart your machine. Chkdsk will now run. ZoneAlarm starts almost immediatley after turning on your machine and accesses the hardrive meaning that chkdsk cannot work. Remember that once you have restarted and chkdsk has run to start ZoneAlarm and then recheck the box "Load ZoneAlarm at startup". I know this isn't an ideal solution but for the time being it seems like the best option, until they get a fix on this.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

Ask a Question