Help to start gaming

Reaction score
Hi I would like some help to start gaming.
1) Is my PC up to it? (System specs are under my avitar )
2) I have a game controller which is a Xbox 360 which was given to me will it work on a PC.
3) best sort of games to star with ? I am interested in flight combat and possibly in Military combat.

Any other advice would be gratefully received:D:user:.

Reaction score
and possibly in Military combat.

:D:user:.
An ex-royal wanting too fight, now i think i've heard that before somewhere!!!!:drool:
Sorry bootneck i'm acting the :fool:after a few ciders!
As i'm not a gamer not the best person to ask, but with your specs you should manage most. V_R, Sir Flopps, Muckshifter + others will be able to offer better advice.:thumb:

Reaction score
:D Ohh Arrr after a few ciders us old bootneck will take on the world especially down Lympstone ,Exeter way.:thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
one "spec" needs a bit of updating, otherwise should be fine for most games ... you'll need a red case. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Computer specs look fine to me.

In my opinion best flight sim is Microsoft's Flight Sim X (Ten) which is now available on budget. A gamepad is ok for flight sims but joystick usually a better option, a suitable joystick can be had for around £25.

There's a million and one military games available but what sort of gameplay do you prefer? There are fps's (First person shooters) where you are a soldier toting a weapon or there's the strategy games where you take charge of armies and move them around a map, the Total War series do that.

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2 is also pretty good, an fps but with stealth and realism, I like that one a lot and it can be had for a fiver.

It strikes me you might also find Civilisation V enjoyable, that's a sort of 'build a world empire' strategy kind of game, that one can also be had cheap.

Is your Xbox controller wired or wireless? If wired it should work ok and plugging it in to a usb port should make Win 7 recognise it. If it's wireless you'll need a PC receiver for it. But there aren't many games that benefit from a gamepad on PC, they're mostly just good for racing games, mouse/keyboard is nearly always a much better option.

Reaction score
your rig is pretty solid for most games, if your os recgnises your controlers then every thing should be fine

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guy's. :D Looks like I will be up and running then once I get some games, the Xbox controller is a wired one and I like the sound of Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Las Vegas 2 sounds good as have been there several times. Also I was given Microsoft Flight Simulator X for Christmas but I am waiting to purchase a joy stick before I play it. I will let you know how I get on. Once again thanks for the help.:thumb:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Hi I would like some help to start gaming.
1) Is my PC up to it? (System specs are under my avitar )
2) I have a game controller which is a Xbox 360 which was given to me will it work on a PC.
3) best sort of games to star with ? I am interested in flight combat and possibly in Military combat.

1. Yep
2. Is it wired or wireless? If its wireless do you have the receiver?
3. Wings of Prey, or something similar? You want real military combat or more of a fun type of game?

Reaction score
Hi VR the controller is wired, yes Wings of Prey type which will run on windows 7, and more of a fun type combat game not sure the reactions are quick enough for the real military combat yet. Oh and space combat games would be good. Thanks for the reply:thumb:

Reaction score
Update I have now got a copies of Crysis, Halo 2,Star Trek Legacy and Microsoft Flight Simulator X deluxe edition. I hope to get the joystick next week:thumb: I think that will keep me going for a bit.:thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Crysis 1 and Halo 2 are great games :thumb:

But you don't need a joystick to play them, just MS Flight Sim X. So get stuck in ;)

Reaction score
Update, I purchased a Thrustmaster T,Flight Hotas X yesterday:thumb: but now looking at it it seems to have many buttons and may confuse a poor old wizened old ex Royal:(, but we did not win an empire by giving up :thumb:so up and at them fix bayonets:lol::bow:

Reaction score
For someone who's done a full regain on the bottom field & run over dartmoor it should be easy!!! If you need help ask, i may not be much use, but the gamers here will be!!:thumb:

Whats the first plane your going to fly then?

Reaction score
I am just about to download Microsoft Flight Simulator so to start it will be something mundane and easy as I will have to master this joystick first;). I got a feeling it might be like doing the endurance course at Woodbury Common though :(followed by the Tarzan course followed by a regain in full marching order over the dam.:nod:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thats it Royal, it's easy once you give it a go!:lol:
I never got to use my Attack3 joystick fully & it's still gathering dust!:blush:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Don't be put off by all the joystick buttons, you'll soon become familiar with them. Top tip that may be obvious: don't forget the twist function on the joystick, very important.

You'll start Flight Sim X flying a Microlight, simple take off and land. Then fly through airbourne rectanglular hoops. If you're good you may progress to enjoy the Red Bull competitions fast flying around obstacles and piloting huge aircraft long haul.

Myself, I have to admit I am rubbish at every single Flight Sim I've ever tried, even some of the arcade ones, a pilot I was not meant to be. MS Flight Sim X, however, I have found the most enjoyable but still, for me, quite hard.

Nobody else I know finds it hard, it's just me, so don't be put off ;)

Ask a Question