Help!!! Sysprep creating Icons on Desktop...


G

Guest

Fact:

Once you sysprep Windows XP and logon as the Administrator, sysprep will
create two shortcuts on your desktop. They are:

MSN Explorer
Windows Media Player

Bottom Line:

I want the cleanest way to get rid of these two shortcuts via the sysprep.inf.

Request:

I ONLY want these two shortcuts (on my desktop) removed. I DO NOT want any
references to these two programs removed from any other areas of the
operating system (ex: Start Menu/Programs, etc.) I just want the desktop
icons/shortcuts removed.

I want to GET RID OF THESE during the sysprep process. How do you do it?
What commands can I run in the sysprep.inf that "WILL WORK"? What command in
the [GUIRUNONCE] section will accomplish this?

Once the Administrator account logs on, I want these two desktop shortcuts
to DISAPPEAR!!! Please re-read this post , if you are not clear on what my
objective is. I want real answers to this issue, so please re-read if your
unclear on what i'm asking for. Thanks in advance for your help...

Best Regards,
Rick Blake
 
Ad

Advertisements

S

Shenan Stanley

Rick said:
Fact:

Once you sysprep Windows XP and logon as the Administrator, sysprep
will create two shortcuts on your desktop. They are:

MSN Explorer
Windows Media Player

Bottom Line:

I want the cleanest way to get rid of these two shortcuts via the
sysprep.inf.

Request:

I ONLY want these two shortcuts (on my desktop) removed. I DO NOT
want any references to these two programs removed from any other
areas of the operating system (ex: Start Menu/Programs, etc.) I
just want the desktop icons/shortcuts removed.

I want to GET RID OF THESE during the sysprep process. How do you
do it?
What commands can I run in the sysprep.inf that "WILL WORK"? What
command in the [GUIRUNONCE] section will accomplish this?

Once the Administrator account logs on, I want these two desktop
shortcuts
to DISAPPEAR!!! Please re-read this post , if you are not clear on
what my objective is. I want real answers to this issue, so please
re-read if your unclear on what i'm asking for. Thanks in advance
for your help...

I cannot say I even agree with your "Fact" yet..
As I do not see this issue in my installs.

I will look into it though.
 
G

Guest

Try it.

Install Windows XP, logon as Administartor, remove MSN Explorer and Windows
Media Player icons, sysprep it, log back on as Administrator and wahla, the
icons are back on your desktop.

I am using Windows XPSP2 with Sysprep 2.0.

Best Regards,
Rick Blake

-----------------------------------------------------------

Shenan Stanley said:
Rick said:
Fact:

Once you sysprep Windows XP and logon as the Administrator, sysprep
will create two shortcuts on your desktop. They are:

MSN Explorer
Windows Media Player

Bottom Line:

I want the cleanest way to get rid of these two shortcuts via the
sysprep.inf.

Request:

I ONLY want these two shortcuts (on my desktop) removed. I DO NOT
want any references to these two programs removed from any other
areas of the operating system (ex: Start Menu/Programs, etc.) I
just want the desktop icons/shortcuts removed.

I want to GET RID OF THESE during the sysprep process. How do you
do it?
What commands can I run in the sysprep.inf that "WILL WORK"? What
command in the [GUIRUNONCE] section will accomplish this?

Once the Administrator account logs on, I want these two desktop
shortcuts
to DISAPPEAR!!! Please re-read this post , if you are not clear on
what my objective is. I want real answers to this issue, so please
re-read if your unclear on what i'm asking for. Thanks in advance
for your help...

I cannot say I even agree with your "Fact" yet..
As I do not see this issue in my installs.

I will look into it though.
 
S

Shenan Stanley

Rick said:
Try it.

Install Windows XP, logon as Administartor, remove MSN Explorer and
Windows Media Player icons, sysprep it, log back on as
Administrator and wahla, the icons are back on your desktop.

I am using Windows XPSP2 with Sysprep 2.0.

I don't have to "try it" right this minute - as I use it almost weekly and
en masse once every 4 to 6 months to distribute images to thousands of PCs.
heh

I will look at it on Monday if I can - to see if I may have done something
in the past to prevent this.. Perhaps a setting where you think it might be,
a patch for the default user profile, etc.
 
H

Hunter01

Shenan said:
I don't have to "try it" right this minute - as I use it almost weekly and
en masse once every 4 to 6 months to distribute images to thousands of PCs.
heh


As do we where I work. We've never had the MSN shortcut (perhaps because
we use Select media, perhaps because we're very selective in the initial
installation, so long since we've done a "from scratch" I can't
remember), but we also get the same behaviour with Media Player. Can't
remember if we used to get that back before SP2 but we are getting that
behaviour now and no-one remembers it happening prior to SP2. We wrote
it off as "no biggy". Doesn't really hurt anything so wasn't worth the
time (which we're very short on) to try to resolve the issue, although
if I see a solution in this thread we'll probly use it.
 
A

Adam Leinss

As do we where I work. We've never had the MSN shortcut (perhaps
because we use Select media, perhaps because we're very selective
in the initial installation, so long since we've done a "from
scratch" I can't remember), but we also get the same behaviour
with Media Player. Can't remember if we used to get that back
before SP2 but we are getting that behaviour now and no-one
remembers it happening prior to SP2. We wrote it off as "no
biggy". Doesn't really hurt anything so wasn't worth the time
(which we're very short on) to try to resolve the issue, although
if I see a solution in this thread we'll probly use it.

I can confirm the creation of the Windows Media Player icon on every
new profile made on Windows XP SP2 regardless of the Default User
setting.

Adam
 
Ad

Advertisements

J

Josh Macri

The occurs when you don't run the media player setup (ie: the setup you get
when you run media player for the first time) before you run Sysprep.
Sysprep included with SP2 copies over the administrator profile over the
default user profile and if media player has not been configured it will
need to be configured on every subsequent account. In addition you can also
use GPOs to prevent the quicklaunch and desktop icon creation on first run
(default behavior is to create an icon when you first click on the icon on
the desktop for a new user).

Josh
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top