Help Please!

Reaction score
Hi All,

I don't know if this a comumn thing or if anyone has come across this before but when i try to start my PC (Which runs on Windows XP)

I get the following message:

We apoligize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start
successfully. A recent hardware or software change might
have caused this.

There is more verbage then I get the following start choices:

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Last Known good Start
Start Windows Normally

No Matter what i select my PC just reboots and gets to the same point etc etc.

I was told by someone that i need a recovery disc or rescue disc, i wasn't given one with the PC so don't have one.

If anyone knows where i can get one or adifferent resolution please let me know as i don't know where else to look!

Much Apprechiated

Reaction score
Looks like the startup.BAT has corrupted.

Usually happens during a serious crash?

Might just be easeir to let XP fix the problem instead by doing a reinstall.

NOT A FRESH INSTALL!!!

Any other opinions?

Reaction score
Hello and welcome on-board;)

Now let us have the spec of your PC make and model Please

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Have you added or changed anything on your PC recently? Even a printer/webcam etc...?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I take it as read that you can NOT get into the Safe Mode option?

On that chance that you can, go into Control Panel and go to "System" and then the "Advanced" tab. Click "Settings" under Startup and Recovery ... then UN-tick "Automatically Restart".

This will let you see that Blue Screen of Death so you can report the error to us.

The first thing I would do is remove any new hardware that might have been installed, unplug any external devices like printer, scanner, camera, etc... and then try it.

If that doesn't work, and you do not have an XP CD or a recovery disk, then you is buggered. ;)

OH, welcome to the forum. :D

Reaction score
Windows did not start successfully - Need Help. Thank you.

Similar problem: I get the same message, but different reasons.

have caused this.

Safe Mode
Last Known good Start
Start Windows Normally

I just received a new (different/used) computer sans hard drive. I removed my hard drive from the old computer and installed it in the new computer. However, I get the above message. Thinking I may have installed it improperly, I reconnected the hard drive to the old computer and the computer booted up fine. I reinstalled the hard drive into the new computer and I still have the same problem. I thought I would reformat the hard drive (the data is backed up) using the Windows XP Pro install disk, but the computer does not read the disk from the CD ROM drive. I have checked the BIOs to determine boot order etc., and everything looks okay. I have checked cable connections (even removing it once (and I got a unable to read error)) and everything is okay. Has anyone ever had this problem? Help...!

Last edited:

muckshifter

Reaction score
You give the impression you have a "new" PC when you also say "used" so, how old is it and, what is it? Who/what/how big is the HD? What/where/was is the original HD?

In general ...
# 1 ... you cannot just remove a HD, with XP already on it, and expect it to "know" what you are putting it in ... nine times out of ten you need to clean install XP.

# 2 ... I would use the ribbon cable out of your 'old' PC to test it aint a faulty cable in the "new" (second hand?) PC

# 3 ... how is the CDROM drive connected?, on the same cable?, is the "jumper" in the slave position? ... or, on its own cable, jumpered as master? What position is the HD jumper? it should be master.

No matter how close someone else's problem is to yours, it is always recommended you start your own thread.

muckshifter

Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
Mucks you not take your pills this morning ;)
Yep, but I never took the midday ones, I was out ... so I just tool them and the ones for this evening ... I should be fine in an hour. ;)

Reaction score
Response to Muchshifter

Muchshifter, Thank you for your response. The "new" computer is a used computer from my brother-in-law's company. They are getting rid of their old computers and he obtained one for me. The company however removed the hard drive that was in the computer. Therefore I used the hard drive from my older computer. The hard drive in my older computer is only a 1+ years old. The "old" computer too was a used computer sans hard drive when I obtained it. The hard drive is an 80 gig hard drive. I thought about reformatting the hard drive, but unfortunately, the computer doesn't recognize the CD in the CD ROM when I turn on the computer and try to boot from the CD. I've checked the BIOS for boot order and everything looks fine.

1) Clean install. Please define - Reformat the hard drive?
2) Cables 1. I will try your suggestion. However, I would imagine that the cable that came with the computer, from the company is fine. At one point I unhooked the cable from the CDROM and I received an error message informing me that there is no CDROM or DVDROM attached. The message goes away when the cable is attached to the CDROM.
3). Cables 2. The CDROM and Hard Drive are on separate Cables. Both are set up for Master set up on their respective cable.

Can you think of anything else? Maybe I should reattach the hard drive to the old computer, clean the hard drive, and then again put it into the "new" second-hand computer?

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
Reaction score
rsdavis said:
the computer doesn't recognize the CD in the CD ROM when I turn on the computer and try to boot from the CD. I've checked the BIOS for boot order and everything looks fine.

Your Cd drive is duff. Considering its the 'old' computer then i assume you mean a couple of years old, so its more than likely a broken drive.

Have you got any other cd drives to put the cd into?

Reaction score
Michael, I have tried a new cdrom and still no action. I've gone into the BIOS and changed the boot order and nothing. This is getting frustrating. However, please keep the suggestions coming. I'm willing to try just about anything.

Reaction score
1. Check all IDE pins are straight on Motherboard connection header

2. Change what channel the cd-rom is on. If it's on IDE1 as slave change it to IDE2 as slave (weird as it seems older boards dont like CD-Roms on the same IDE channel as Hard drive) I personally came across one myself a few weeks ago

3. Make sure the disk you are using works in another drive

4. Make sure it is a cd and not a dvd your inserting into a CD-rom drive

5. Try the drive you are using in another machine with the same disk

If all that fails the looks like your IDE controller maybe FUBAR

Two choices

a. Buy a new motherboard
b. Buy a internal IDE controller card thast fits into PCI slot

Good luck :)

Reaction score
muddogg said:
Hi All,

I don't know if this a comumn thing or if anyone has come across this before but when i try to start my PC (Which runs on Windows XP)

I get the following message:

have caused this.

Safe Mode
Last Known good Start
Start Windows Normally

I was told by someone that i need a recovery disc or rescue disc, i wasn't given one with the PC so don't have one.

If anyone knows where i can get one or adifferent resolution please let me know as i don't know where else to look!

Much Apprechiated

Hi All again sorry bout not replying to any of your suggestions, have been pc-less for a while, ref the above, have only just tried again to fix, before i couldnt get in 2 the settings menu before the above would occur but am now using a diff keyboard so i no what the problem was there! I dont know anything about the start up details of a pc so would really appreciate if someone knows anything about how to overcome the problem by using the start-up options seeing as thats the only thing i can do with it right now!

Thanks again

Oh and BTW dont know if it helps but the title of the F2 menu is Amibios Setup Utility - Version 3.31a

Last edited:

Ask a Question