Do we still have...?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Does PC Review still have an advice thread about which startup processes/services can safely be disabled? I'm sure I recall seeing one here, but a long time ago, and so far, I've not been able to find it by searching. (Might just be me... :blush:)

There are other lists around the interwebs of course, but some of them give conflicting advice: "Disable xyz it's bad, you don't need it!" - "No, keep xyz, don't touch it, you'll wreck your system!" You know the kind of thing. :rolleyes:

Anyway, thought I'd check, just in case anyone can point my nose in the right direction. Thank you for looking. :)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Can't remember there being such a thread. :confused:

But it might make a good addition. :)

I must say that I disable just about everything on the Start Up list.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
TC, those "can safely be disabled" were a good source of income for me in their day ... if you have 4-8gb ram for Windows, then don't go breaking what don't not needs fixing ... if you have win 10 and want to curtail MS's spyware, then use freely available programs like SpybotAntiBeacon. A little more can be done with 'hacking' the registry in Win 10.

If you running Win 95 on the other hand, install Linux. :)

I charge £20hr and I'll take 3hrs to 'fix' your system for you.

sharepopcorn.gif

Reaction score
I check mine every few months. Disable stuff from starting which is no use to me

I think out of 30ish items about 4-5 are running at present in the windows section
4.jpg

I use the tools/startup option in Ccleaner

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
But it might make a good addition. :)
Yeah, I think so too. :thumb:
if you have 4-8gb ram for Windows, then don't go breaking what don't not needs fixing
I'm not short of RAM - 16 GB. But I chanced to notice something called "ZyngaGames Splashtop" appearing in my Task Manager list. On some websites, it tells me that it's associated with Guild Wars 2... whilst others call it malware.

I am always careful about disabling things that I'm unsure about, which is why I was seeking a list of the "goodies Vs baddies" at startup.

I think out of 30ish items about 4-5 are running at present in the windows section
Yeah, I'm sure my boot time would benefit from a small amount of judicious (and careful) "pruning."

Thanks for your replies guys, much appreciated. :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I don't have that 'program' and just checked by running GW2, just in case ... I'd remove it. :)
Yeah, I'm pretty certain that I didn't have it until fairly recently too. It is the thing that prompted my original question to be honest.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
There used to be a start up database if memory serves? Was a long time ago though. I think...

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
There used to be a start up database if memory serves? Was a long time ago though. I think...

Yep, that's the one - there was a "startup database" up until about 5 years ago. We were kindly allowed to use a database from many years ago from a very helpful author that collated the original data - but he wanted to move the data to his own site and continue to update it. We could have started a new one, but it would be impossible to match the level of completeness. Here's a link to the new startup database site: http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php

That said, I'd say if you're using Windows 7/8/10, then there's not much to be gained from disabling most Windows services, just some of the bulky 3rd party ones (especially from the likes of Apple, etc...).

That splashtop games entry does sound a little suspect!

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Ahhh, thanks @V_R and @Ian, good to know that my little grey cells weren't playing tricks on me! :D
That splashtop games entry does sound a little suspect!
Yes, I felt very uneasy about it, so earlier I removed it, and all appears to be well. As for where it came from, I can only think that it might have been a sneaky by-product of a browser game that I checked-out recently.

Thanks again for your replies guys. :D

Core

noot, noot
Reaction score
Zynga makes browser games for Facebook, such as Farmville etc. Probably something you picked up from there. I use Facebook myself but I avoid the games there like the plague.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Zynga makes browser games for Facebook, such as Farmville etc. Probably something you picked up from there. I use Facebook myself but I avoid the games there like the plague.
I'm not a subscriber to Facebook, but as mentioned, I did fleetingly try a browser game (bad idea) from another source... can't even recall what it was now, I only remember that it wasn't very good lol. Happily, after uninstalling Zinga, it has not returned to haunt me. :thumb:

Reaction score
For comprehensive information and listed recommendations on the configuration of Windows Services go to the Black Viper Website at http://www.blackviper.com/. In my opinion the text content is rather too verbose. Prior to Windows 7 I used the configuration recommendations at that time but was never aware of any particular benefit. Now, as mentioned previously, there doesn't seem to be much to be gained with the services that are part of Windows 8, 8.1 and 10.

However, Black Viper does warn of third party services which may have a certain `take care' rationale.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thanks @MalcolmW - I had forgotten about Blackviper, although I recall using that website (and finding it useful) many years ago. Think I was using ME OS at the time, so that's going back a bit. :thumb:

Ask a Question