Help please..can't boot up.....

Reaction score
I wondered if anyone can help.

My husbands PC won't boot.........the welcome screen appears (but without the welcome messege) and then the following error occurs....

"The Application failed to initialize properly (0x0000142) click OK to terminate program"

We have no idea what this could be (the only recent changes made to the PC is a wireless connection, which was set up almost 2 weeks ago, so i am thinking that this isn't connected to the problem now?)....or how it has happened. My husband has tried to boot in safe mode and the welcome screen appears (again without welcome messege) and goes no further, he has also removed the PCI card.....but no change in the outcome on start-up.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Caren.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Sorry, but if you can not boot into safe mode then the only easy action I can see is to re-install Windows. Hopefully it isn't a hardware problem. :(

user.gif

Reaction score
If you using Win2000 or WinXP, before you click okay to terminate, try press ctrl+alt+esc, then go file, click new task (run...), then type explorer, then enter. If explorer can boot up, try to check it..hope this help..

Reaction score
NO REINSTALL IS NOT THE ONLY RESOLUTION AND THERE ARE TOO MANY PEOPLE WHO BELIEVE THAT!!

What is happening is a boot up program is interfering with xp profile interface.

The easiest way to "resolve" this issue is as follows provided you system came with a "system disk" and not
a "restore disk" Check the labels on the disks.

System Disk: "This Disk is for reinstallation of the operating system..."
Restore Disk: "Use this disk to restore your system to original configuration"
Note: Some restore disks can "repair" windows without destroying data depending on vendor and age.

If you have a system disk or an XP Install disk from another source, insert the disk in you cd drive
Reboot PC--Access BIOS (Usually F2 Right after computer turns on and before "Loading Windows" appears,
Watch your screen for "Hit XX to enter Setup" Do what it says)
Check Bios BOOT Settings. Follow directions on screen to move CD before HDD (Hard Drive)
ATAPI CD - HDD1 ...
Save Settings
Reboot....

Wait for "press any key to boot from CD" message and hit spacebar
The Windows XP Installer will boot
Follow the basic process for three screens as though you were going to
reinstall windows completely DO NOT DELETE ANY PARTITIONS
At the Partition Screen Select the Largest, or the Only Partition on your hard drive.
WHEN YOU SEE "TO REPAIR THIS INSTALLATION PRESS R" and press R.
The Setup process will reset the boot sequence and profile
loader on your pc.

IF THE REPAIR OPTION DOES NOT APPEAR BEFORE YOU SEE
WARNING: THIS WILL DELETE ALL DATA ON THE PARTITION
PRESS L TO CONTINUE
THEN STOP!!! The windows configuration has become corrupted
and cannot be repaired. CANCEL THE INSTALL AND SHUT OFF COMPUTER.

To save DATA, remove hard drive from PC and have the drive backed up as an
"external" drive on another PC. When windows boot fails, the data can still be accessed if the drive
is connected to another pc as a secondary/external drive.

If the Hard Drive cannot be read when connected to a working pc as a Secondary Drive, then the
drive is corrupt and may have failed... consult a professional regarding data recovery.

Once data is saved, specifically : C:\Documents and Settings\ [This has all the user settings and documents
for all users including documents and pictures on the desktop.] reinstall the hard drive in your pc
and restart the install process as above with either the Restore Disk or a System Disk/XP Install Disk

At this point you may delete the large partition if it cannot be repaired and recreate it to reinstall the
entire operating system.

When windows comes back up copy data from CD Backup of hard drive and copy to hard drive in
folder called "Recovered Data"

You can then obtain all your old pictures, files and music.

Programs will need to be reinstalled. Sorry

*** THIS IS A SUMMARIZED SYSTEM RECOVERY PROCESS ***
*** PLEASE CONSULT WITH YOUR LOCAL CONSULTANT FOR***
*** EXPANDED OR MORE TECHNICAL INSTRUCTIONS ***

Brian W
CAD Computing

Ask a Question