help needed with usb's

Reaction score
i have major problem with my usb's and have no idea how to solve the problem. My pc fell over but seemed to be working fine, out of the blue, my broadband modem switched off and i now everytime i plug anything into my usb's it says, the device has malfunctioned. Ive checked that all the wires are in correctly and ive also formatted and reinstalled windows xp home hoping this would solve it but nope, on each usb in the device manager it says all are working properly, until i plug something in and then it says there are no drivers installed? its a asrock motherboard

Reaction score
We need to know more about the system are they onboard USB`s and what motherboard Asrock?

Reaction score
yeah i have the driver disc, when i browse and go to usb driver it just tells me in a note that its on service pack 1 + 4. But as far as i can see in the device driver the ports are ok, says that all devices are working properly, until i plug anything into a port

Reaction score
put the disc in the drive go to > device manager> highlight the usb tell xp to reinstall the drivers.

Reaction score
Hmm... what are you running with USB? printer scanner?

Oh and welcome to the forum;)

Reaction score
This is a situation where I would like the PC in front of me, now are you using USB on the modem? Are you able to use Ethernet 10/100? Take each item out of the usb hubs and re-insert them one at a time and see if one of them works/or not, as you say they all work on another PC so no problem there, if you have a free PCI slot you can get a USB hub and use that, as it appears you have damage to the MOBO even if XP is telling you it is ok obviously it is not or it would be working.

Reaction score
yeah im using usb on the modem, and ethernet is ok. Ive taken everthing out and tried them one at a time and i get the same result each time (device has malfunctioned) and they are all working fine yeah on my other pc.

i do have spare pci slot, so does that mean i could purchase new usb and go from there?
whats a MOBO????? :wall:

Reaction score
lindajane1971 said:
yeah im using usb on the modem, and ethernet is ok. Ive taken everthing out and tried them one at a time and i get the same result each time (device has malfunctioned) and they are all working fine yeah on my other pc.

i do have spare pci slot, so does that mean i could purchase new usb and go from there?
whats a MOBO?????
wallbash.gif

MOBO is motherboard;) Yes get a hub they are cheap get a 4 or 6 or 8 hub :thumb: slot it in and install the drivers XP usually have them ready> away you go make sure the power is OFF before opening the case;) let me know how you get on good luck:wave:

Reaction score
In my opinion, start the Win XP in safe mode and remove all the USB drivers, and start the PC again and let it detect the USB device (try connecting one device at a time). USB malfunction is usually a driver problem but I don't see any driver problem come after your PC fell off. ;)
Another solution (Although risky) is to delete (or better rename) the related inf files for USB drivers to make sure that they won't be detected again and system ask you to put in a driver CD.

Let us know how does it goes.

Ask a Question