Help needed - ACER ASPIRE 9301AWSMi Laptop - external video output

Reaction score
Hello all. Hopefully somebody can help me.

I have been happily using my ACER Aspire 9301AWSMi laptop since new (Apr 2007) with an external display aswell as the built-in display (in Extended desktop mode, rather than Clonded desktop). A couple of days ago the external display stopped working. I thought it just switched off as a result of some keys I pressed so I carried on working, but when I investigated further I now think it may be a hardware issue.

I have of course tried all the usual settings, like Fn+F5 to switch between internal, external and both. I've also tried all the combinations of display settings in Personalize\Display. Basically, all indications are that when a monitor is plugged in, the laptop thinks it is displaying to it! Oh, I have verified the monitor is fine using another PC.

I've even re-installed an old ghost-image of the hard-drive so it's definitely not a Windows-setting. There don't appear to be any BIOS settings related to the display.

The questions I have for anybody who may be kind enough to help are:
1. Are there any "undocumented features" that I may have inadvertantly triggered to prevent the output from working?
2. Assuming a genuine hardware fault, can anybody supply me with a service manual, or some instructions on how to get inside as I'd like to have a look at the hardware and see if there are any relevant components that can be replaced.

Many thanks in advance,
MartyP1972.

Ask a Question