Acer Aspire 2026 WLMi Memory Slots

Reaction score
Hi, just been given an Acer Aspire 2026 WLMi laptop but the RAM compartment is empty. Want to get 2GB of RAM because all the info about this laptop claims it has 2 memory slots.Well one must have fallen out of this laptop as upon removal of the cover, I can see only one slot. Anyone got one of these laptops who can tell me if theirs has one or two slots please.
Thanks.

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for reply. Thing is, my 2026 is not like the laptop in the video. On my 2026 the RAM compartment is separate and is the size of the RAM stick. Just taken the lid off this compartment again and I can only see one slot.There's only room for one RAM stick.......yet the manuals keep on saying 2 slots! Surely the other RAM slot wouldn't be under the underside casing?
Mike

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Take a look at the pic below

Attachments

• pcr.png
    pcr.png
    22 KB · Views: 257
Reaction score
Thanks, here's some pics.

Attachments

• RAM Slot View AA.jpg
    RAM Slot View AA.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 318
  • RAM Slot View BB.jpg
    RAM Slot View BB.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 309

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Ah ok. I think I know what it may be. Had the same on an old Acer.
One RAM module is on the base of the laptop, but to access the other you have to remove the keyboard, as that's where the second module is located.

Reaction score
Oh right. Why doesn't it tell me that in the manual? Frustrating.....do they do it on purpose I wonder??? Thanks. Just have to find how to remove the keyboard. Think I downloaded a service manual earlier, I'll check that.
Thanks again.

Reaction score
Thanks, I can go to a max of 2GB. Should be enough for what I want to use it for.
Mike

Reaction score
Thanks I'll try taking keyboard off tomorrow - too tired tonight. Body's willing but mind isn't!
Mike

Reaction score
Found the RAM under the keyboard - thanks for advice.
Having problems with the laptop. Having replaced the hinges, the screen just stays black while the laptop whirs away, so plugged a monitor onto it, re-booted, and got the message CMOS ERROR. It offered me the chance of starting in safe mode or normal mode, but whatever I selected, lots of lines of info appeared on the screen then it froze. Been advised it could be the internal battery drained. Will be looking for that soon......You have to be Indiana Jones to find things on this laptop!!!!! How can you tell if the screen or the inverter has failed? Is there a way of testing both?
Mike

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
There are a number of reasons for CMOS errors, but normally is that battery as you have been advised.
As for the screen not working, are you sure you reseated the screen ribbon/cable properly after replacing the hinges ?
And as for all the lines of info when booting into safe mode, that is normal, although the freezing isn't
Try replacing the battery when you find it's location, and then see what happens.

Reaction score
I checked the cabling to the screen and it all seems ok, but I'll check continuity with a meter later. Must find battery compartment first. Thanks.

Reaction score
Just found the internal battery and it's soldered onto the motherboard. It will mean a total dis-assemble to get the motherboard out to even determine if I can unsolder the old and re-solder the new - it's a very small battery, about 12mm diameter.......assuming new solderable batteries are available. Why do they do this? I found one forum where someone had the same problem as me and decided he had to throw the motherboard away. If this is the case, these Acer laptops only have a life expectancy of approx 5 to 7 years, ie. the internal battery life!!! Anyone experienced replacing one of these batteries???
Mike
Disillusioned.....so disillusioned!!!!!

Ask a Question