Help locate virus

Reaction score
I have a virus on my computer and its been getting progressively worse.
Can some one tell me some ways to go about locating and deleting it

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Welcome to PC Review Mud Man :wave:

Install and run a good quality Antivirus suite such as Kaspersky or NOD32 :thumb:

Reaction score
Thanks
but i was wondering if theres a way to do it with out antivirus programs since ive tried a few and theyve all failed.
ive tried checking the locations and tags of processes but thats not really that reliable.
i dont mind if it takes a long time if youve got another idea

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Would be nice to know what virus you think you have, what AV you are currently using, what you've tried, and what OS you are running.

You also need to run these AV scans in safe mode :thumb:

Reaction score
Im using windows xp.
im not sure of all the avs ive used but some are avg free edition, norton, security task manager and another microsoft one. My main one at the moment is avg free.
Im not sure exactly what virus my computer has but its been running slow since about the end of last year. I found out I definately had a virus when I tried to send a zip file using hotmail and it came up saying so.
Its been getting progressively worse I saw my first blue screen last night about kernel apc pending duing exit and sometimes my internet cant go to webpages because im not connected even though i am

thanks ill try scanning in safe mode

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
If you have a virus, then it should be found by any decent AV program in safe mode and tell you what it is - to be honest it should tell you when not in safe mode too.

Once you have finished your scan, download HijackThis and post the results from the scan here and we can have a look - look through the FAQ's and Quick Start guide for help in using it :thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
oh this is easy to fix ... dump XP & install Linux, or buy a MAC ... neither of them need any AV programs at all. A 6lb lump hammer works too. :thumb:

OK, on a more serious note ... I don't think you have a virus.

The word "virus" is, unfortunately being used to mean ANY infestation you may have contracted. The AV programs you may have been using, are incapable of detecting much in the way of "nasties" in the first place.

You NEED better security, and a different outlook on what "PC security" actually is.

Viruses are not the only nasties, there are others called ... Trojans, Worms, Malware & spyware ... all designed, unlike a virus, to take some control over your PC and use it for their own means. Hence the slowdown.

Two of the best "AV" programs, that also detect other "nasties" have already been mentioned ... they both have fully working trials you can download, they are not free ... Try Anti-Vir Personal if you want a free AV program.

Now, the above programs are a start, however, we need to supliment these with more dedicated programs for the other nasties we WILL incounter on our travels through the Internet.

You will need, at least, to also install ... SpywareBlaster, Spybot Search & Destroy & A-Squared ... and to help "tydie up" after any scan, install CrapCleaner.

All these "programs" NEED to be updated & run on a regular bases ... or you may as wll go learn & install Linux

Your PC maybe so full of crap that a clean re-install wiping the HD may be a better idea. :)

:user:

Reaction score
WOW :) thanks for the help!!! I used kaspersky and it detected an email worm, an adware and a trojan now the computer runs sweet

The logs been attached if you want to take a look

Attachments

• hijackthis.txt
    10.4 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
:thumb:

Kaspersky Internet Security is well worth the money. ;)

Ask a Question