lsass.exe problems...

Reaction score
Hi,

My laptop has acquired the lsass.exe ("Sasser"?) virus. Unfortunately I can no longer connect to the internet on this computer because of this, so I cannot send a HiJack log or any other kind of information.

To make matters worse, I (somehow, and for some foolish reason) deleted an lsass.exe file in C:/winnt/system32 when I was in DOS and now I can no longer boot into Windows (neither regularly nor in safe mode). I realize now this was a very bad mistake. My OS is Win2000 Professional. Basically, when I try to boot, it just leaves me at a blue screen (where the grey login window would normally pop up but it now no longer does) with a mouse cursor, but never progresses from here.

Is there anything I can do from here, short of wiping the drive and reinstalling the OS? I really don't want to do this...

Thanks so much in advance...

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
yep, if you cannot get into Windows to 'fix' the problem, then you is gonna need to do a dirty install, not really recommended in this case, or, reformat/reinstall

dunno if the below link helps ...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841720

and use a bloody firewall next time, even Windows' own would have helped.

:user:

Ask a Question