Windows XP HELP! I think I recovered wrong!

Reaction score
I have a Windows XP, obviously, on a Compaq desktop. Yesterday, I turned on my computer like any other day. Before it got to the user screen, a DOS screen came up saying the there was an error with the configuration. It said to select "r" to restart Windows. I did this a couple times, and all it did was restart the computer and take me right back to the DOS screen. :confused: On one of the screens that has Compaq or Windows on it, the were options to press certain buttons for certain things. I press the one saying "F10 System Recovery". I went through a long process as if I just bought the computer. When that was done, I finally got to my desktop, and it was a different background. Some of my desktop icons were still there and some were ones that shouldn't have been there. My internet desktop was AOL, when I have HughesNet. I got that changed. All of my pictures,videos,documents, and music are gone. My Favorites are the ones I had last year. My users aren't there anymore either. Can someone tell me how I can fix this, please?!

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
I just had a friend do the same thing recently. System restore using the F10 key is a Factory Restore to original specs. If you have done this, then the files you had on the machine are "gone." Using a program such as that suggested by barbarian (Recuva) can assist in getting some files back.

Reaction score
Thanks! I really appreciate this from both of you. I'll update later t olet you know what happened.

Ask a Question