Help -- How to get out of AOL Hell??

Rob

Is there any Freeware program that will export an AOL address book and AOL
messages. I would like to import them into a standard POP3 EMAIL client.

For some reason, it would appear that AOL makes it very difficult to export
the address book and the EMAIL messages. Perhaps they don't want folks to
easily switch out of AOL Hell.

Help!!! Is there any easy way out of AOL Hell???

Rob

Steven Burn

You can't use AOL mail outside of the AOL software (with the exception of
their web-based e-maol at www.aol.co.uk).

As for the address book etc, you can export them, but only to AOL readable
formats (basically, a format no other e-mail client can read)

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group CEO
www.it-mate.co.uk

Disclaimer:

Christopher Jahn

You can't use AOL mail outside of the AOL software (with
the exception of their web-based e-maol at www.aol.co.uk).

Netscape 7 can access AOL mail.

As for the address book etc, you can export them, but only
to AOL readable formats (basically, a format no other
e-mail client can read)

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group CEO
www.it-mate.co.uk

Disclaimer:

And in fact, you are wrong.
http://emailman.com/conversion/index.html#addrwin

There are few utilities for importing AOL address out of AOL.
I've used InterGuru. HAven't tried AOLeave

--
:) Christopher Jahn
:-(

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/xjahn/Main.html

After a number of decimal places, nobody gives a damn.

Tiger

Is there any Freeware program that will export an AOL address book
and AOL messages. I would like to import them into a standard
POP3 EMAIL client.

For some reason, it would appear that AOL makes it very difficult
to export the address book and the EMAIL messages. Perhaps they
don't want folks to easily switch out of AOL Hell.

Help!!! Is there any easy way out of AOL Hell???
Maybe Father Damien can help? Oh, nevermind...he's dead.

**Will anyone catch a rather blatty reference?**

John H.

Hello, Steven!
You wrote on Fri, 7 Nov 2003 03:10:06 -0000:

SB> As for the address book etc, you can export them, but only to AOL
SB> readable formats (basically, a format no other e-mail client can read)

There is an old trick I learned when transferring incompatable formats.
1: Open a new email in the old client. Address the email to every person in
your address book.
2: click and drag to highlight them all. Copy.
3: Open an email in the new client. On the TO: line paste the addresses.
4: While they are all still highlighted, right click, there should be some
flavor of "add to address book"
5: Close both mail messages without saving or sending.

This isn't a straight import per se, but it's a lot better than re-typing
each address.

With best regards, John H.. E-mail: (e-mail address removed)
http://home.wi.rr.com/johnhood/freeware/

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=BBQ=AB?=

Maybe Father Damien can help? Oh, nevermind...he's dead.

How many AOL subscribers? I mean, how many priests have to jump out
of windows? ;)
**Will anyone catch a rather blatty reference?**

I'm sure somebody will, heh.

five

Tiger wrote:
| |
|| Is there any Freeware program that will export an AOL address book
|| and AOL messages. I would like to import them into a standard
|| POP3 EMAIL client.
|| For some reason, it would appear that AOL makes it very difficult
|| to export the address book and the EMAIL messages. Perhaps they
|| don't want folks to easily switch out of AOL Hell.
|| Help!!! Is there any easy way out of AOL Hell???
| Maybe Father Damien can help? Oh, nevermind...he's dead.
|
| **Will anyone catch a rather blatty reference?**

He's helping his mother cook socks in hell.
:)

Steven Burn

Cheers Christopher, I wasn't aware Netscape could do that.

As for Integuru and AOLLeave, I've never personally heard of it :blush:( (I've
actually just switched from AOHell to Tiscali BB)

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group CEO
www.it-mate.co.uk

Disclaimer:

Rob

Rob said:
Is there any Freeware program that will export an AOL address book
and AOL messages. I would like to import them into a standard POP3
EMAIL client.

For some reason, it would appear that AOL makes it very difficult to
export the address book and the EMAIL messages. Perhaps they don't
want folks to easily switch out of AOL Hell.

Help!!! Is there any easy way out of AOL Hell???

Rob

Thanks for the posts. But I think some of you may have missed the intention
of my original post.
I am trying to switch my Dad from AOLHell to regular ISP. AOL pushes too
many ads. You are forced to even see an ad before AOL will let you log off.
In addition, the more recent version of AOL are just TOO slow on my Dad's
old computer.

I am NOT looking for another EMAIL client that will work with the AOL EMAIL
servers. I am looking for a FREE program that will allow me to export the
AOL address book and EMAIL messages to a regular POP3 EMAIL client.

But it looks like AOL makes it had to switch and leave its wonderful world
of AOL hell!

Rob

Duddits

I am trying to switch my Dad from AOLHell to regular ISP. AOL pushes too
many ads. You are forced to even see an ad before AOL will let you log off.
In addition, the more recent version of AOL are just TOO slow on my Dad's
old computer.

This site has a way:
http://www.main.nc.us/help/aol.shtml
FWIW, Keyword: Marketing prefs should allow you to opt out of ads.

hth

Dud

Rob

Christopher said:
Netscape 7 can access AOL mail.

And in fact, you are wrong.
http://emailman.com/conversion/index.html#addrwin

There are few utilities for importing AOL address out of AOL.
I've used InterGuru. HAven't tried AOLeave

AOLeave looks a little out of date. The web site refers to old AOL version
4 and 5. Most AOL users are on version 7 or 8.
As noted on the web site, AOL has a tendency to change its database format
from version to version. I have a funnny feeling that AOLeave may not work.

Rob

Steven Burn

My god1 You people are dense...the man wants to know "How To Get Out
Of AOL!" not "How To Make AOL Palatable."

</snip>

I've just left AOHell after being with them for 5 or so years, now on
Tiscali DSL/BB/whatever they want to call it. Best thing I could have done
but also, one of the worst (I should've found a half decent ISP before
moving, lol).

As for how to leave them, DO NOT CALL THEM, calling to cancel your account
is like giving YOUR murderer the gun to shoot you with. Instead, write a
letter to them, and make sure you cancel whatever transaction you use for
your bank (i.e. Direct Debit, credit card), do this BEFORE sending the
letter.

Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group