HELP! Can't insert/play MP3 files into PPT 2002!

Reaction score
Hello.
I'm having trouble with inserting/playing music files in PPT 2002. I've never had this problem before, and have done this several times in both 2000 and 2002.

All the specs are in place: My naming conventions are short, the files and presentation are in the same folder, etc.

Here's what's happening:

I can play all of the files, whether they are .wav or .mp3 files in Windows Media Player or iTunes player, so it's NOT the sound card.

I cannot INSERT any of the .mp3s (that have been previously downloaded through LIMEWIRE - a itunes music program).

If I convert them to .wav files (using Cool Edit Pro), then I can insert them, but they do not play (no sound).

Here's the kicker...I CAN insert and play any music that I have ripped from CDs (Windows Media Audio files).
Another strange tidbit - two days ago I watched this one presentation I did last year with inserted mp3s (I used PPT 2000 to create, but watched it using PPT 2002), the music and presentation were both on the same CD and the PPT was pulling the songs from the CD. Everything worked just fine. Now two days later, the music will NOT play. I'm really confused. I'm a pretty advance PPT user and have done this many many times before - so I'm not sure what's going on.

I searched the internet for answers, but to no avail. I've read things like checking CODEC connections, etc., but am not sure what I'm looking for there...and my computer says that everything seems to be functioning in the Audio hardware dept.

Can anyone offer me any help or direction? I would really appreciate it - this presentation is for my mom's 50th birthday, and I only have about a month left to pull it all together. I would like to be able to manipulate the play time, etc. with the music, so I don't want to insert it as an OBJECT and then access the Windows player from there. I would like to just insert SOUND FROM FILE and have it linked to the presentation.

Any help would be great - perhaps something I haven't thought of yet??

Thanks - Melanie

Ask a Question