Headphone Question

Reaction score
Hey,

I've downloaded skype onto my Ipod Touch, and it works fine, I can hear the other person, but obviously they can not hear me. I was going to buy a pair of headphones with a microphone built in, and I'm assuming it would work fine.

One question though. I have an old Sony laptop which has a microphone in and a speaker out port. Will I be able to use these headphones on that too? That is, will the speaker in port take the input from the microphone through the one jack?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Yes.

Please explain, speaker in port ... ?

Most, if not all the jacked headsets, mic & headphone, have two jacks ... one for the mic & one for the speaker. Your sound card may have additional jack sockets for aux ... it is up to you to get them to work.

Go for a USB headset, it may even work. ;)

:user:

Reaction score
Hey Mucks,

Sorry, I meant speaker out, not speaker in. I am going to buy the headset with 3.5mm jack on it for my Ipod. It has a built in microphone.

What I was wondering was if I plugged that into the speaker out port on the laptop (so essentially i'd have the sound through the headphones rather than the computer speakers) would the microphone work, given that the laptop has a seperate microphone input.

Bodhi

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I'm not sure how a single jacked headset works ... so I would just use the lapie's built-in mic and the speaker out for the earmuffs.

I have never seen a sound card that doesn't have the (new) pink & green sockets ... but there again, I ain't a laptop user. ;)

:user:

Reaction score
There in lies the problem, the laptop doesn't have an inbuilt mic. I used to use a headset which had two 3.5mm jacks off it, one was a sound in (mic) one was sound out (headphones).

I was just curious if one of the new sets of headphones with one 3.5mm jack but with headphones and mic would work. Might just have to buy it and see what happens I guess.

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
I believe you're going to need a converter cable:

http://www.skype-gadgets.com/webtown/2006/11/25mm_mobile_hea.html

happywave.gif

Ask a Question