HD Test

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi All
Thought I would start a new thread after 'Double crash'
Took Muckshifter's advice and downloaded 'Drive Fitness Test' from Hitachi's site. Took three floppies to make a usable disk (but they are about 12 years old).
Used it to test the non-bootable Hitachi HDD and it found no faults but I deleted the MBR anyway.
Could have more easily bought a new HDD but want to know why!
eBuyer found no fault with the motherboard, DFT found no fault with the HDD. However installing Damned Small Linux corrected the DATE/TIME error - still reading up about the CHECKSUM BAD.
I am guessing that lightning produces strange results and will attempt to install XP on the Hitachi HDD tomorrow.
Cheers
peahouse05:thumb:

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
HDD test

Hi All
Problem HDD now ok with XP re-installed. Problem seems to have been the Master Boot Record although not that sure. Linux helped sort it out and have made a GRUB boot floppy for next time.
Thanks for the replies on the original thread.
Cheers
peahouse05:thumb:

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
HDD test

Thanks Mucks
Think I will install SuSe 10 on the slave HDD on this second PC as it offers to boot XP or Linux. Would go all Linux if it wasn't for daughter. BTW have never got the scroll wheel to work in Linux.
Cheers
peahouse05:D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
peahouse05 said:
Thanks Mucks
BTW have never got the scroll wheel to work in Linux.
Cheers
peahouse05:D
Logitech mouse ?

muckshifter

Reaction score
LoL ... and it still works after all this time.

Maybe you need something a little more modern ... :p

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
I'm very tight Mucks, have got a Labtec wireless keyboard and mouse but don't know if the CD has Linux driver- will try it tomorrow.
Cheers
peahouse05:wave:

muckshifter

Reaction score
It may surprise you what Linux can "see" and use ... never had a problem with my wireless keyboard & mouse. My BIOS had a "problem" until I told it to look & use USB KB etc. ;)

To be safe, I did use a PS2 keyboard & mouse at the same time while checking if Suse could see my kit.
laughingsmiley.gif

A lot of "drivers" are built-in to the Kernal in Linux.

WiFi is still having problems though, especially laptops.

:thumb:

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi Mucks
I really hope she couldn't see your kit!
But on a more serious note. I have no idea about Registry Cleaners, Diagnostics, etc, but having used Damned Small Linux to partly solve my problem with lightning to my PCs. I started thinking (miracle). DSL boots from a £2.50 mini-CD, or free if you download. If you boot from CD it is there, existing in the RAM. You can connect to the Internet with no problem. So far so good - the PSU, CPU, RAM, BIOS and MB are working. Try installing it to the HDD and in my case on two PCs, after attempting to partition the HDD the system crashed. Downloaded Hitachi HD tester and both HDs were found to be ok, but I deleted the MBR in each case. Installed Slackware on one and XP and SuSe 10 on the other with no problems. Slackware boots with LILO and SuSe with GRUB. The common problem seems to be the MBR in the HDD being corrupted by the lightning strike.
Sorry for the long post and the possibilty it is all boll__ks.
Cheers
;) peahouse05

Ask a Question