Hitachi Deskstar Bizarre Noise Fault

Alex Lush

Hi All,

I have recently had a couple of Hitachi Deskstar hard drives go bad on
me. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had symptoms like these and
can shed any light on what my chances are of getting any data
recovered!

When powered up, both drives emit a strange beeping sequence, please
visit the following URL to listen as its quite a bizzarre sound (not
the usual clunks or grinding as with most HD faults I've seen):

http://media.putfile.com/Hitachi-Deskstar-Hard-Drive-Fault

Both drives produce this noise for around one minute then it stops.
Not sure if the drive powers down at this stage or not, I can't hear
or feel any movement.

The drives are both 500GB IDE 3.5" 7,200RPM Models, model number:
HDT725050VLAT80 and were manufactured in Aug 2007.

They were installed in a NAS device, see the following link:
http://svp.co.uk/product/dual_hdd_networked_attached_storage_(ide)_5707

I have downloaded and run the Hitachi Drive Fitness Test by plugging
the drives into a PC, but neither BIOS or the DFT recognise the
drives.

Has anyone had a fault like this before? Anyone managed to get their
data back? I have considered using a professional data recovery
company but could do with any comments/help before I commit to going
down that rather costly road. Suggestions on tools/techniques to
recover data?

Any help appreciated!!

Thanks,

Al.

Rod Speed

Alex Lush said:
I have recently had a couple of Hitachi Deskstar hard drives go bad on
me. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had symptoms like these and
can shed any light on what my chances are of getting any data recovered!
When powered up, both drives emit a strange beeping sequence,
please visit the following URL to listen as its quite a bizzarre sound
(not the usual clunks or grinding as with most HD faults I've seen):

Recalibrations do vary considerably sound wise.

Thats just the drive attempting to read the platters and failing eventually.
Both drives produce this noise for around one minute then it stops.
Not sure if the drive powers down at this stage or not, I can't hear
or feel any movement.

If you cant feel anything with a loose drive, it isnt spinning.
The drives are both 500GB IDE 3.5" 7,200RPM Models, model number:
HDT725050VLAT80 and were manufactured in Aug 2007.
They were installed in a NAS device, see the following link:
http://svp.co.uk/product/dual_hdd_networked_attached_storage_(ide)_5707
I have downloaded and run the Hitachi Drive Fitness Test by plugging
the drives into a PC, but neither BIOS or the DFT recognise the drives.

Because the drives never start.
Has anyone had a fault like this before?

Yes, plenty have.
Anyone managed to get their data back?

Not by themselves.
I have considered using a professional data recovery company

Thats your only viable option when the drives wont even start.
but could do with any comments/help before I commit
to going down that rather costly road. Suggestions on
tools/techniques to recover data?

There arent any if the drive wont even start.

Worth trying the drive in a completely different system to see if it will start in that.

Odiferous

Alex said:
[...]

If you have audible "beeping" noises, you are probably suffering from
stiction.

If you have a very short grinding noise, the bearings have seized.

Both are relatively straightforward for someone with the experience, but
every time you power the drives on, you risk causing additional, serious
damage.

Try to accept the fact that no software is going to read these drives
until they have been mechanically repaired.

Duncan

Squeeze

Rod Speed wrote in news:[email protected]
Recalibrations do vary considerably sound wise.

Thats just the drive attempting to read the platters and failing eventually.

If you cant feel anything with a loose drive, it isnt spinning.

If it ain't spinning, it ain't doing calibrations.
Because the drives never start.

Yes, plenty have.

Not if the drive isn't spinning, they don't.
Not by themselves.

Plenty have that got the drive to spin again when the platters were stuck.
Thats your only viable option when the drives wont even start.
There arent any if the drive wont even start.

Corse there is if the problem is only stuck platters and the drive just
needs that little bit of momentum to get them unstuck.