HD problems

Reaction score
my friend messaged me with this problem:

ok so i have a grand total of 3 hard drives. 2 identical 80 gig SATA drives in a RAID 0 array, and 1 60 gig IDE hard drive. a few weeks ago, i tried to install Windows Server 2003 on the 60 gig hd, but it was missing some files so the installation couldnt finish

so i said screw it.

And then thats where my problems began.
I had windows xp Pro on the RAID array, and after i rebooted right after the failed server 2k3 install, i get an error message saying that some system files are gone, so im like "crap" now i have to reformat AGAIN.

wrong

I try to format the array and it says it cannot format it for some reason. So i install XP Home on the 60 gig hard drive, and everything goes fine. I go into My Computer and see the RAID array there, only its completely blank.
the file system is no longer FAT or NTFS, it says RAW. i googled RAW data and i found out thats its un-formatted data. am i right there? anyways i cant format it with windows either.

so im like "thats gay i cant format it!"

so i restart and delete the raid array and just leave the 2 sata drives as individuals.
now upon restarting, they no longer show up in my computer at all.

I even went out and bought a new SATA controller card, that didnt work. They are visable in my BIOS, but windows cant recognize them.

I really dont think they are broken because how could they both break from attempting to install a diff OS on a completely unrelated HD?? plus they are now visable in the Hardware Device manager in MY Computer, but not in the "My Computer" menu itself. this is so wierd. im not getting any errors whatsoever here.

What is going on?

should i just RMA them both?

Reaction score
s3cti0n 8 said:
should i just RMA them both?

YES but only if the problem can not be solved!

otherwise keep them and enjoy the benefits of RAID!

Ask a Question