HD is Visable and Not visable

Reaction score
Rather like the previous writer I am having a problem with a hard drive only this time it is an external drive. On my PC I have two internal hard drives one the Local Disc (C) drive and one designated by the OS as the New Volume (F) which I use as a Back up Drive. I have now got a caddy with a Samsung HD103UJ hard drive but I am not able to access it as it does not show on the Computer control panel but does show on the Devices and Printer control panel. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate. Any help and advice would be welcome.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
My first question would be, does the USB cradle work?

Next, Have you tried to connect this drive to any other PC?

Does it power up, etc.

Reaction score
Yes the cradle does work and the disc is spinning The light that the disc is registering to the PC comes on

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
When you go into devices is the drive showing up as initialised ?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
First, open disk management within Win 7. Right now at this moment not sure how to reach it within Win 7 but if you type 'disk management' (without quotes) into the search bar it will open. See if it's shown there.

If it is then you need to right click to the left of where it's shown and click 'enable dynamic disk' (or similar). Once that's done it may show up in 'Computer' but if it doesn't you may have to format it within Disk Management by right clicking on right side of bar and chooosing 'Format Disk'.

Only prob there, of course, is you'll lose all data on it. If the disk has nothing on it, no prob - format.

If the disk doesn't show in Disk Management then I am, for the moment, flummoxed but would suspect a hardware problem.

Reaction score
:bow:Geronimo, Thanks Sir Flops you have solved the problem I now have got the drive on line. Once again thank you for everyone's input but the problem now solved:thumb:

Ask a Question