Have I installed my graphics card incorrectly?

Reaction score
Hi

I've just installed a PNY Geforce 6200 256MB DDR AGP8X Directx 9 graphics card into my Jetway V2MDMP motherboard, yet my computer is still struggling with 3d graphics. I loaded up doom3 and asked it to scan for the most appropriate settings and it chose the poorest one. The game is stuttering, as is vampire: masquerade redemption, which only requires Directx 7.

After fitting the card Ii went into the PC BIOS and told the computer to use the AGP video card instead of the onboard graphics, then I plugged the monitor into the card’s VGA slot before loading the Directx 9 driver and the card driver.

I loaded the games onto my PC but they both stuttered, so I read the motherboard manual and loaded an additional driver that has to be installed if you are using an AGP VGA card. I did this but it has made no difference to the games.

This is the first time I’ve tried to upgrade part of my computer so I expect that I’ve made some sort of fundamental mistake, unfortunately I’ve no idea where!

My PC has an AMD Sempron 2500 processor and 80Gb of memory, 256MB of RAM, so I think it should be powerful enough to handle the latest games when fitted with the Geforce 6200. I know its not the best of cards around, but it came with a free copy of Far Cry so it should work okay I think.

Can anyone help?

Cheers

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
no its all working fine, the problem is that graphics card is nowhere near powerful enough you need atleast 1GB of RAM and a better CPU

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Hmmm, I wouldn't throw too much good money at that motherboard ... ;)

Be careful what type of memory you buy ... I believe it is only 333 tops.

Reaction score
and with the graphics card, you may need to install the new drivers before you plug it in....

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
michael 118 said:
and with the graphics card, you may need to install the new drivers before you plug it in....

good point, you have to make sure all old drivers are removed and the correct ones installed for the new card

Reaction score
Dont expect to be playing Doom3 on any kind of decent settings with that card. It just can't cut the mustard, its rubbish for games...

Get something like a 6600GT or an X800GT and your laughing. That and a gig of RAM, and a new Mobo.

Reaction score
muckshifter said:

Cant motherboards just run any speed of DDR? I thought it would be a top fsb of 333mhz, and you can use any memory but it wont run faster than 333...?

You learn something new every day

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Cant motherboards just run any speed of DDR? I thought it would be a top fsb of 333mhz, and you can use any memory but it wont run faster than 333...?

You can. I have.

Only buy quality stuff, of course.

Reaction score
Yeah, 6200's act purely as an improvement on integrated graphics. They're not for gaming. Even if you had more RAM and a faster CPU, you'd still only be playing Far Cry in around 800x600 with everything turned off. IE, Sega Saturn graphics.

Reaction score
Cheers for all your help anyway. Being a novice I assumed that the card would comfortably play the game it came with, although i overstimated my PC's capabilities on the basis that it's only(!) 12 month old.

Figure I'll make the best of a bad job and take your advice of not throwing good money after bad in regards to my mobo. PC gaming seems a pretty expensive lark; I know you get what you pay for, but how much am I looking at to get a system that play games without the stutter, without buying the best stuff around? any advice on what kit to get?

cheers for putting up with my endless questioning!

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
top of the line about £2-2.5K but thats playing at stupidly high fps at max resolution and quality, a mid range system would cost about £1000 maybe less depending on the spec which would handle all of the latest games at reasonable fps and resolution

those are just estimates, but you'll be looking at about £750 for a reasonable gaming system

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by muckshifter

christopherpostill said:

You learn something new every day

I actually heard that yes it will only run at 333 but it hinders the performance compared to a correct 333.

Reaction score
Lowbo said:
PC gaming seems a pretty expensive lark;

I'd just grab an Xbox 360 if I were you - it matches most high end PC's in terms of (gaming) power, but costs comparative peanuts. PC gaming isn't really viable unless you are willing to pay about
£600 every 3 years.

Reaction score
this stinks.. my new ram doesn't FIT into my comp... it's too deep or wide or whatever. i am seposed to be able to click the things on my ram. but they won't.. my ram is too wide :(
my my ram slot has some kind of white thing that i can "click" in some hole that are on the side of my ram. but i can't get the ram to fit into it..
i can't seem to know how else to explain this, anyone knows what to do?

Last edited:

muckshifter

Reaction score
henkjan said:
this stinks.. my new ram doesn't FIT into my comp... it's too deep or wide or whatever. i am seposed to be able to click the things on my ram. but they won't.. my ram is too wide :(
my my ram slot has some kind of white thing that i can "click" in some hole that are on the side of my ram. but i can't get the ram to fit into it..
i can't seem to know how else to explain this, anyone knows what to do?
Yep ... snap the white things off ... :eek: ... no, I'm not joking. ;)

I would say your ram is too 'tall' not, too wide ... if it was too wide it would be too long and would not be DDR.

Ram requires quite a bit of pressure to push all the way in to its slots ... most people tend to bend the motherboard to near breaking point. One reason 'we' builders will take a MB out of the case, just to fit new ram.

Make sure you have the 'cut-out' on the bottom of the ram the right way round ... and push firmly at both ends ... three hands are usually needed.

:thumb:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Memory has always been tight ... I'm afraid it does require some force ... ;)

Sorry, I cannot guarantee you wont break something. :)

Reaction score
thanks alot :)
it worked, the white things said "click" when i pushed a little harder:D !
finnaly.. 1 gig of ram :D
thanks alot
my ram wasn't too wide or too long at all.. i just had to push a little harder.
i learn more every day... :D

Last edited:

Ask a Question