Hardware or Software

R

Richard in AZ

I working on a PC that keeps shutting off.
At first I thought it was an over-heating issue.
But all fans are working fine. Put new coat of thermal grease under the CPU - no change
Put in a new PWR Supply - no change.
Found that it will run all day long in the SAFE-MODE.
It continues to fail when configured in the "diagnostic mode", set from msconfig.
It continues to fail when turning off processes and startup in msconf.
If BIOS, the temperature of the CPU is displayed and it never gets above 60 degrees C.
There does not appear to be any damaged capacitors on the motherboard

Here are the symptoms.
PC will boot and just about in the time the Welcome Screen comes on, the computer turns off.
Fans are off, but the indicator light on the motherboard is still on.
The front switch does not work. You have to pull the power plug and wait for the motherboard to
power down.
Then when you replug the power cord in the computer starts. CPU fan starts, stops, then restarts.
It may go this time into the desktop, but within 3 to 4 minutes, it turns off again.
If I do a normal shutdown, then the front power switch works again.
But the next on command will again shut down during the welcome screen.
If you keep pulling the power plug and restarting with the power plug you do get a limited amount of
time to salvage files.

I am going to get the Windows Install disk from the customer today and will try a repair install,
but I don't think that is going to fix the problem. The motherboard is a ASUS A7V400 that I install
new 6 months ago. It has worked fine until last Saturday when the computer just shut down for the
customer.

R

Rich Barry

Richard, sounds like hardware to me. Motherboard ? I would remove the
board and make sure nothing is shorting out.

G

It could be the CMOS battery on the motherboard. Change the battery and see
if that helps.

Mike

Ask a Question