hard drives

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
depends on the amount of space in the case and on the number of ports the motherboard

Reaction score
i have 2 ports on my motherboard and plenty of space..Its a tall case

emma xx

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
ok thats good to know, next question

What type of port are they? SATA or IDE/ATA ?

SATA can only have 1 drive per port whereas IDE/ATA can have 2 drives per cable

Reaction score
Ok, I will have a look tomorrow.... Just using my laptop atm.. I will post the specs tomor

Emma xx

Reaction score
whisper said:
i have 2 ports on my motherboard and plenty of space..Its a tall case

emma xx

Crikey.

It is pcreview and it is a........... lady asking technical questions!!! :p :thumb:

Now on a serious note don't forget to tell us how many hard drives you currently got :)

Reaction score
psd99 said:
Crikey.

It is pcreview and it is a........... lady asking technical questions!!! :p :thumb:

What difference does it make wether its a lady, cat dog pig or fricking mouse...??? We are yer to help irrespective of gender...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
How many drives depends on how many ports the motherboard has.

IDE (PATA, paralell) ports are now less common and most motherboards only have one which can take two devices and is now most commonly used to take a pair of optical drives.

And most motherboards now sport on average six to eight PATA ports which can take both hard drives and optical drives.

So, there's no set number, depends on the motherboard.

An example:

Six SATA ports, 1 IDE port.

The user decides to have a DVD Blu Ray drive and a DVRW drive on two SATA ports and four hard drives on the other four SATA ports.

That's kinda typical.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PSD99: Button it.

MadX: don't stir things.

I'll be keeping an eye with my finger poised on 'delete'.

Reaction score
Talking about H/D. I have a stand alone H/D,when I need to use it I plug it into a usb hub which dangles from my computers usb socket(?). But to use the stand alone H/D I have to plug it in after my computer has boot up fully.If I leave the H/D plugged in and turn off the computer,when I come to turn it on again it fails to boot up completly with just the cursor flashing on and off in the top left corner of the screen.I then have to unplug the H/D and reset the computer which then boots up normaly.Is there some thing wrong or am I doing some thing wrong?
If some kind person can explain I`d be most greatfull.
All the best.
historian

Ask a Question