Windows Vista vista updates

Reaction score
I got windows Vista updates turned on, and the most annoying thing is when you are in the middle of something, the pooter turns off and reboots. Aside from that, how do you know what update is being installed and can you control it?

Emma

Reaction score
Yup that can be annoying...I'd say turn off auto updates..And then once weekly do a manuual update...When the update page is open..Use the custom setup..That way you get to choose what you want to update and what you don't..But generally speaking you will only recieve updates that realte to your machine...:thumb:

Reaction score
thank you Madxgraphics for the tip.....that's exactly what I will do xx

Rgards

Emmma

Reaction score
ok..that being tha case about xp, I tried " downgrading " my laptop > Packard bell Easynote SJ51....I installed XP fine, but went to download the drivers from Packard bell website, and there was no xp drivers available... I tried the vista ones but not happening...Emma

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
vista drivers won't work, i can't see anything on the net at the moment but will keep looking

Have you tried windows update? you usually get some drivers listed on there, they won't be the most up to day but will be better than nothing

you'll probably find that there is another laptop in the packard bell range with the same internals as your laptop and runs XP that you can use the drivers from

Reaction score
whisper said:
ok..that being tha case about xp, I tried " downgrading " my laptop > Packard bell

Erm I'd call Vista to Xp upgrading....:p The drivers are out there..I just had a quick look and found a few..They all seem to be scattered all over the place though, not just on one site...I'll have a little nosey around after dinner and see what else I can find for you....

Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
vista drivers won't work, i can't see anything on the net at the moment but will keep looking

Have you tried windows update? you usually get some drivers listed on there, they won't be the most up to day but will be better than nothing

you'll probably find that there is another laptop in the packard bell range with the same internals as your laptop and runs XP that you can use the drivers from

thank you xx

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hey, Vista isn't that bad. There's a Luddite mentality at work here. XP is almost nine years old now, it's out of date.

I'll admit Vista is flawed, annoying with default settings and needs a high spec machine to run but it is a current OS, XP is not. Hell, Win 98 only lasted two years which makes XP look decidedly long in the tooth.

You can tweak Vista by disabling stuff and it looks good, works well and most of all it's more stable than XP.

Having said that, I do hope 'Seven' addresses all the criticisms levelled against Vista, we shall see.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
You can tweak Vista by disabling stuff and it looks good, works well and most of all it's more stable than XP.

Having said that, I do hope 'Seven' addresses all the criticisms levelled against Vista, we shall see.

Fair point..But why should you have to tweak something so much to get it to run as you want it...I've run it on really high spec machines and still had problems...Lets hope Seven is what they promise..But been MS I have my doubts..XP might be old but I have had very few problems with it...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
Fair point..But why should you have to tweak something so much to get it to run as you want it...I've run it on really high spec machines and still had problems...Lets hope Seven is what they promise..But been MS I have my doubts..XP might be old but I have had very few problems with it...

Aye, I've had few problems with XP but for me anyway it does seem to go belly up about every nine months or so.

My one install of Vista, however, is stable as hell since installing it last January. And at least it can be tweaked, just like most Linux Distros.

I sometimes get the impression that somehwere underneath all the crap, Vista is possibly a good OS but those twats at MS nannied us to the point of exasperation, they seemed to go out of their way to annoy anybody who had even half an idea how to use a computer.

And much the same accusation could be levelled at Linux Ubuntu and variations therof, actually. Ubuntu took it upon themselves to rewrite the original Linux rule book and have imposed restrictions much the same as MS do.

Hard to believe, I know, but it's true.

Fortunately, if you accept Unbuntu's way of doing things, it does work a helluva lot better and faster than Vista.

Reaction score
I think my main gripe with Vista is the length of time it takes things to open...Opening My Music can take a hell of a long time..At first I thought it was the amount of music that I had in the folder, but then I looked and its the same as on My XP laptop...As for Ubuntu and the likes...I have had a little look, but I suppose change scares me a bit...I don't do it to easily and llike to stick with what I know..Even going onto MAc has been a big change and hard to get used to....

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
I think my main gripe with Vista is the length of time it takes things to open...

Me too, me too.

On first boot each hard drive takes a full five seconds or more to show all it's folders, a lot longer than XP does.

But after everything's been opened once - and after an awful lot of hard disk activity - everything can be accessed at the same speed as XP.

With all of Vista's so called 'intelligence' I do wonder whether it's going to wear out my hard disks sooner than is usual.

As I said, a flawed system but I still hold it's superior to XP.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
XP = is based on Win2000 server

Vista = is based on 2008 server

Yes, Floppy is right, XP is 90 years old ... I had a nice car half that age, the brakes failed. :wave:

Always been a sad trait of PC manufactures, not knowing how to set-up their own PC is a norm ... :rolleyes:

:user:

Ask a Question