Hard drive light on

Reaction score
I have this hard drive:

Hitachi Touro Mobile MX3 2.5” Portable Hard Drive, USB 3.0, 1TB

After activating the Safely Remove feature on my PC, the light on the hard drive is still on.

Does anyone have the same problem?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Which light is it? Power on or disk active? If it's the latter then as you decided to remove it the PC and Hard disk are trying to find each other.

Why did you 'safely remove' it anyway?

Turn the disk off, reboot computer, turn on/reconnect hard drive, let them 'see' each other. Assuming, of course, you still want to use the hard disk with that computer.

Reaction score
Which light is it? Power on or disk active? If it's the latter then as you decided to remove it the PC and Hard disk are trying to find each other.

Why did you 'safely remove' it anyway?

Turn the disk off, reboot computer, turn on/reconnect hard drive, let them 'see' each other. Assuming, of course, you still want to use the hard disk with that computer.

There's only one light on the portable hard drive.

I wanted to unplug it so chose the Safely Remove option first but even when the message said it was safe to remove, the light was still on.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
it probably just looks bright ... or it's infected with an alien advanced culture in neon aesthetics that give the impression the light is, ON ... or it was really made by Volvo.

:)

I have no answer

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ahem, yes. Whether your drive is powered by usb or an external power supply if it is still connected by either of those means then the light will stay on, don't worry about it. Time to worry is when the light doesn't come on ;)

And you've no need to use that 'safely remove' feature, just connect/disconnect the drive as and when you need to use it.

Ask a Question