Hackers crack Ubisoft's uPlay security, able to download games for free

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Update: Ubisoft sent in the following statement to Game Informer:

"We are aware of the issue and are working to resolve it quickly. No personal information was compromised. Uplay's PC download service will be unavailable until the problem is fixed, however all other Uplay services remain available."

Original story: A band of Russian hackers have broken through the security on Ubisoft's PC games launcher uPlay, allowing them free access to the publisher's games.
The software hack is able to trick uPlay into thinking users already own a particular game, making it available to download at no cost and with no DRM.

Ubisoft's unannounced shooter Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon is apparently lying on Ubisoft's servers, available to download to those who have the exploit.

Over half an hour of Blood Dragon footage was posted on YouTube today - and was quickly being pulled down by Ubisoft - seemingly evidence that the exploit works and is being used to play the unreleased game.
Gameranx published an image of the game being downloaded and claimed that the title is already being passed around a number of torrent sites.

We've contacted Ubisoft for comment and will update when we hear back.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...play-security-able-to-download-games-for-free

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Um, nothing new there, actually, I keep well read. Not personal experience you understand, oh no, and in no way absolutely would it be a backlash response to Draconian DRM measures and complete tosh such as Origin.

No way at all :)

It's a funny thing, I really like PC computer games and to that end I've always supported them, always paid for games.

Then EA, Ubisoft et al treat me like a moron and kick me in the teeth.

Well

Do I still pay for my games? Of course, Steam folder currently just short of 900Gb, you do the hard cash math.

But, slowly but surely, the PC games industry is pushing me away

Some might say the measures some games publishers are taking are forcing previously honest pc games players into pirates, which, when you think about it, is kinda ironic, biting the hand that feeds one, one might say.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Just one company trying to protect its intellectual property, the wrong way.

It is, however, saddening to read one PC game company netting 5million in legitimate sales and 4 million in lost revenue due to pirating. That particular company are dead set against DRM, but boy, there sure are some thieves about. :(

It costs a lot of money to make PC games.

I'm no fan of EA, won't buy any of their games. :rolleyes:

Ask a Question