Great site.

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
I love this site at the moment. The layout is nice and clean, and uncluttered. The blue colourscheme is very pleasant and not OTT. And the little icons alongside the menu, panel titles and forums are all extremely friendly. Well done design team.
I am interested in setting up something similar myself as part of a university society, can anyone advise me on how to go about creating a site like this, and what I will need to do so.
Another site i like the look of is www.viperlair.com
This is the first site i've actually registered with, and i've looked at hundreds over the last few weeks whilst researching, so that says a lot about all of you at PC-Review.
Keep up the good work. :thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
I have had alook at mambo on the mambo site, and it looks pretty good, and someone else has told me that php-nuke is good too. I actually get someone else in to do all of my web design, but I'm gonna be the one adding most content to my site and using it on a regular basis, so it needs to be relatively easy to work with.
Can anyone advise me on different content management System programs and pro's and con's for them. This would be a huge help too me.

Thanks in advance :confused:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I can't talk about all of them, but Matt on the forum has tested a few so he might be able to help more.

I'd suggest against PHPNuke, as its buggy and a target for hackers. Mambo is very secure from what I know, and very easy to use.

There is a site somewhere that lists ALL of the CMS's with demos, but I can't remember the URL!

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
Can I ask which CMS was actually used for the development of this site, and details of where I can find all of the modules used.
Also I would be interested in e-mailing the actual designer/web-builder who created the site, with regards to getting some tips and advice, if this is possible

Reaction score
I too like the look of the site,. it's very nicely integrated and all the graphics fit in really well :)

can you tell me a little abt what's used, I see vBulletin forum and mentioned on the front page, is it an add-on to get it to do the front page / other page stuff ? :)

Sil

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Cache-Man, the designer would be me ;) It is all just vBulletin, free modules from their site and then some custom ones from myself. (Check www.vbulletin.org for modules).

Silver, vBulletin is just the forum and then the front page and everything is just built around that :)

Reaction score
thanks! :)

I had a quick look @ mambo but I get easily confused by too many options,. for something small and clean I like http://www.blosxom.com/ but then I think knowing some Perl / programming would be a def advantage for blosxom > here's my attempt @ a weblog http://www.thoughtattic.com/ with blosxom :)

vb modules huh,. will have to see what they have ;)

Sil

Reaction score
Admin I know how to make a simple HTML page, but im definetly not as advanced as you, im very much still an amateur!

so when I do need help, I know, which "webdesigner veteran" I can turn to! :) :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Not a problem PSD, I'll try and give as much HTML help as possible :)

Ask a Question