Graphics Image Problem

Gordon Biggar

I recently updated my Intel 82815 Graphics Controller with a more recent
download from the Intel site. When I run a stock chart program, I am now
getting blue, fuzzy vertical lines in a graph (.png file). If I email that
chart to myself, the chart appears normal in Outlook Express. Others I know
who subscribe to this service are not having this problem.

I am not having problems with other programs. The desktop also appears
normal. Is there a monitor adjustment that I need to make, or is the
Controller update the root of my problem?

Gordon Biggar
Houston, Texas

Gordon Biggar

Unfortunately, not. (Assuming that you are referring to the
non-startup/freezing of one of my programs.) It has gotten rid of the
warning at boot time -- IsDisplayDevice Active.

I am still proceeding with disabling the boot entries (Autoruns), but
nothing has worked yet. (I am assuming that logging off and then logging
back on is sufficient without having to re-boot the computer each time.) My
next step will be to boot up in SAFE mode again, and then to compare the two
entry lists produced by Autoruns.

GB

Dave Patrick said:
Are you saying this corrected the other problem?

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Gordon Biggar said:
I recently updated my Intel 82815 Graphics Controller with a more recent
download from the Intel site. When I run a stock chart program, I am now
getting blue, fuzzy vertical lines in a graph (.png file). If I email
that
chart to myself, the chart appears normal in Outlook Express. Others I
know
who subscribe to this service are not having this problem.

I am not having problems with other programs. The desktop also appears
normal. Is there a monitor adjustment that I need to make, or is the
Controller update the root of my problem?

Gordon Biggar
Houston, Texas

DL

No you need to reboot

Gordon Biggar said:
I recently updated my Intel 82815 Graphics Controller with a more recent
download from the Intel site. When I run a stock chart program, I am now
getting blue, fuzzy vertical lines in a graph (.png file). If I email
that
chart to myself, the chart appears normal in Outlook Express. Others I
know
who subscribe to this service are not having this problem.

I am not having problems with other programs. The desktop also appears
normal. Is there a monitor adjustment that I need to make, or is the
Controller update the root of my problem?

Gordon Biggar
Houston, Texas

Gordon Biggar

No wonder! Back to square one.

GB

DL said:
No you need to reboot

:
I recently updated my Intel 82815 Graphics Controller with a more
recent
download from the Intel site. When I run a stock chart program, I am now
getting blue, fuzzy vertical lines in a graph (.png file). If I email
that
chart to myself, the chart appears normal in Outlook Express. Others
know
who subscribe to this service are not having this problem.

I am not having problems with other programs. The desktop also
appears
normal. Is there a monitor adjustment that I need to make, or is the
Controller update the root of my problem?

Gordon Biggar
Houston, Texas

Dave Patrick

Actually it depends on the item but that's the safe thing to do if you don't
know. Also as I mentioned before save yourself some time. Do them all at
once then re-enable the suspect ones one at a time.

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Gordon Biggar

Hallelujah!

I selected the Services tab under Autoruns, deselected all the non-Microsoft
items, and then rebooted the computer. Strike on first shot! The culprit
turns out to be an HP file, hpslpsvc32.dll, which Autoruns describes as
follows: "Discovers and monitors the state and the configuration of the HP
devices attached to your network." It is in the folder, Program
Files\Hewlett Packard\Digital Imaging\bin. I installed a wireless HP
all-in-one product over the summer, and I am going to guess that therein
lies the problem.

I might try an HP chat forum to see if others have had this problem. (I
might also try using that printer with the dll deactivated!)

The Autoruns program is a Godsend (now that I know how to use it), and the
help on this Board is equally as astute.

I still need to fix my graphic image problem, described earlier today, and I
might try downloading an earlier version of Intel's Graphics Controller
software.

Many thanks for all of your efforts (and DL's suggestion)!

Gordon Biggar

Dave Patrick said:
Actually it depends on the item but that's the safe thing to do if you don't
know. Also as I mentioned before save yourself some time. Do them all at
once then re-enable the suspect ones one at a time.

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

DL said:
No you need to reboot

Gordon Biggar

P.S. The printer will not function without the dll file activated. Looks
like I try an HP forum for some kind of work around -- if one exists.

GB

Dave Patrick said:
Actually it depends on the item but that's the safe thing to do if you don't
know. Also as I mentioned before save yourself some time. Do them all at
once then re-enable the suspect ones one at a time.

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

DL said:
No you need to reboot

Dave Patrick

Generally for services reboot. For startup or run key items a logoff is all
that's required since these apps would die when the desktop dies.

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Gordon Biggar

The time (and the date) shown in the lower right-hand corner of my task bar
is correct for Houston.

What am I missing?

GB

Gordon Biggar

You're right. Although my clock on the task bar is correct, the zone (I
learn) is set for Eastern time. Since this is an older computer, a few
years back I installed some software ("tzedit"), which takes into account
the revised dates for Daylight Savings. In setting the time zone just now
to Central Standard time, I am now showing a time that is an hour slow.
More headaches...

GB

Dave Patrick said:
You're posting an hour in the past. Shouldn't your time zone be -6:00
instead of -5:00?

From: "Gordon Biggar" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Graphics Image Problem

From: "Gordon Biggar" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 18:30:33 -0500
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

DL

Have you ensured Win2k is fully patched from MS?
There were reports on HP forums of this dll causing cpu problems, fixed by
fully patching the o/s
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=Networking&thread.id=57

Dave Patrick said:
Actually it depends on the item but that's the safe thing to do if you don't
know. Also as I mentioned before save yourself some time. Do them all
at
once then re-enable the suspect ones one at a time.

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
No you need to reboot

Gordon Biggar

FYI:

The updated Intel Graphics Controller software that I installed set my
screen to 256 Colors. By reverting back to the High Colors (16 bit) mode,
all graphics are now performing as advertised.

HP has also contacted me to inform me that it has an updated driver for my
printer, so perhaps I "might" be able to place Autoruns on the back shelf
for a while.

Regardless, forums like this are indispensable.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Gordon Biggar
Houston, Texas