Reaction score
Hi,

my system:

ATI HIS 1950x Pro (PCI-e)
Q6600 OC'd to 3Ghz
2gig Geil ram
P5B- deluxe mobo
Akasa 500W PSU

When playing games, after a while (could be from 10mins to 2hours) i get large square blocks of pixels all over the screen making it almost impossible to see anything. If i leave it like this for 5-10mins it often crashes, and i have to hold down the power till it turns off. Other times it just crashes straight away, with no screen corruption. When the screen goes weird, if i exit out of the game there are verticle lines and other pixels all over my desktop making it v.difficult to read. I have to restart my computer for them to go away.

If i try and OC my gfx card using the ATI overdrive thing then the screen goes wierd much faster

I was wondering if my graphics card is faulty, or if its something else?

thanks a lot!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It sounds like it could be an overheating problem - the first thing I would do is try resetting all speeds back to default (no overclocking) and see how it performs. If you are comforable with it and understand the dangers, try running the PC with the side of the case off to get some cool air in to see if that helps. :)

What is your current cooling setup?

Reaction score
Reinstall GPU Drivers
flash your BIOS to newer version (i know there is but just kinda lazy to look for it :D)
then try it again.
if it still do the same
try to go to msconfig
from the startup tab click disable all
then on the services tab make sure to put a check on "hide all microsoft services" then click disable all
restart your computer
if issue still exist try reseating the Graphics Card and if afterwards, you still have same issue
then its best to contact the manufacturer to avail for your warranty.
if after cleanbooting issue disappears, there must be a software conflict
easiest to do is to do osri if that it is too much then you'll have to turn on those services 1 at a time until you find whats making the conflict (event viewer is actually a big help - sometimes). wheheheh

hope this will help.

ceasar

Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Could be a drivers problem . Have you installed any new graphics drivers lately ? Are your graphics drivers installed and working ok ?

user.gif

Reaction score
thanks for the replies!

Ian Cunningham said:
It sounds like it could be an overheating problem - the first thing I would do is try resetting all speeds back to default (no overclocking) and see how it performs. If you are comforable with it and understand the dangers, try running the PC with the side of the case off to get some cool air in to see if that helps. :)

What is your current cooling setup?

I've set everyhting back to stock clocks and opened my side panel but it still breaks :( I'm using the stock fan that came with the gfx card, i have a tuniq tower for the cpu and im using a NZXT lexa blackline blue midi tower case. I did notice that there appears to be a decent layer of dust in the gfx card and on its fan. I cant get at it though so i guess i need a can of compress air or something to blow it out. maybe thats causing it to overheat?

TechManNew,
I've rebooted my PC and flashed by BIOS to a new version about a month ago, and i was having this problem before that. I tried all that stuff in msconfig too, but no dice :(

Abarbarian,
I've got the latest drivers for my gfx card too, the problems been happening with all the different drivers i've had over the past few months.

what GPU temperature range should i be aiming for under load/idle?

thanks a lot!

Last edited:

Ask a Question