Graphics Card Help! -- Ati 4870

Reaction score
Hey! I got a graphics card last year around christmas time. I've had no problems with it till now.

The problems started when I took my computer into a place to install some software for a course I'm taking. There moniters have a vga input on them so I used a adapter (dvi - vga). I installed the software, brought my computer home and plugged in my dvi moniter to find that my computer boots up, shows the "loading windows" then when it gets to the log-in screen, my moniter goes into sleep mode.

Now before you ask any questions..heres alittle bit more info
-I have a built-in (crappy) graphics card on my motherboard. Which allows me to write this message.
-If I plug my moniter into my built-in graphics card, my ati is no longer recognized so I can't reinstall Catalyst control center.

ANY help would be very much appriciated. I would love to get back playing my Video Games :D

EDIT: haha, I didn't even tell you my graphics card, it's a ATI RADEON 4870

Last edited:
Reaction score
V_R said:
What did you install?

I'm taking a digital media course for grade 11, so They installed Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Flash and Adobe Dreamweaver. I'm pretty sure that it wasn't the installation that screwed the graphics card up though.

I was wondering if there is some way to restore the graphics card (EVERYTHING) back to factory settings.

EDIT: Forgot to add that this has happened before, and the only way I found to fix it was to restore my computer. but the place I got the software only allows ONE install for the course.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Try playing with the menu options that is located on the monitor itself, you should be able to bring up that menu without the computer connection (dvi/vga), however power connection is needed to the wall.

Check and re-check your connections, re-seat your graphics card.....

I would ask them if they can make an exception on the "ONE" install since something happened during the install which has caused your computer from functioning properly.

Ask a Question