Graphics Card

Reaction score
Hello :]
I am thinking about getting a graphics card. Firstly, I was wondering how I would be able to find out which ones would actually work with my computer.
Secondly, I know this sounds dumb, but is it easy to get them in?
Hehe i sound retarded but oh well. ;)

Thanks in advance x

Reaction score
:)

Do you have any idea what your graphics card is at the moment? If i may so boldly ask, how much are you considering to spend Phaii_x?

If the answer to the former question is no, then:

You can use a simple diagnostic program called dxdiag to determine your graphics card, amongst other details.

To use the dxdiag program:

1. Select 'Start'
2. Choose 'Run.'
3. Type "dxdiag" in the box and click 'OK.'
4. Select the "Display" tab, and at the top left should be the name of your graphics set up.

Reaction score
At the moment I have:
"Intel 82865G Graphics Controller" which is not great, I know.
Not even proper... in a sense. =]

I'm considering to spend £70 or less >.<
I was looking around the Nvidia GeForce 6600 area and just really want to know if it's compatable.
Don't have a clue round this area of graphics though so I don't know how great of it it is.
I dunno :]

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
We're going to need to know what make/model your motherboard is :thumb:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Thats not too helpful - is it a Dell system by any chance? - if so can you give us the model number.

You can download Everest and go to Motherboard to find the make/model :thumb:

Reaction score
That sounds like a dell. Updating is a good move as the integrated graphics are rather poor.
The potential downside being that if its the same one i'm thinking of, it has only PCI slots.

Either check on the dell site for the specs of your machine (i.e. what graphics ports it has) or pop the case open and have a look. If you're unsure which port is which, just jump on the net and look for pictures of PCI and AGP ports.

If it does only have PCI ports and you go to a store, make sure they don't give you a PCI-Express card. Happens too often ;)

Depending on whether its for gaming use, you may want to wait and save for a new cpu+mobo. One that will support a better graphics output. High-street retailers seem to inflate the prices of high PCI cards due to a lack of demand. I've seen an FX5200 256MB card for around £70, yet the same store was doing a mobo+cpu bundle with far greater support for £100. Yes you still need to add graphics card to upgrade from the onboard, but it'll look/run a hell of a lot better. Also you dont want to spend your £70 on a passable card only to end up upgrading the rest soon after.

Reaction score
Well I have the Dell Dimension 3000 (if that's the information you're looking for).
After having done some seaching around, I am pretty sure that it has PCI ports. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have read somewhere that PCI is not great and the choice is very limited.

Ask a Question