Graphics Card Upgrade

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Please help, I'm a bit of a numpty when it comes to Computers..............I can use 'em but I dont know how they work so go easy on me.

I currently have a Dell XPS B1000 with a NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/64PRO graphics card. My son wants to upgrade the card to 128mb cos he can't play a lot of his games on it. I've seen some dirt cheap cards on the web but I don't know if they are compatable with my system. I would be grateful of any advice or ideas.

Ta

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Does the PC have a dedicated (seperate) video card or are the graphics part of the motherboard?

If seperate, is it in a PCI slot or AGP?

Judging by the age of the machine, if the graphics card is seperate, it's probably in a PCI slot.

As the computer is now old by modern day standards, I actually doubt if it's worth spending money on a new video card, especially if it only has PCI slots.

If the machine has an AGP slot, it may be worth buying a 128Mb video card but as the rest of the machine specs are quite low, I don't think you'd see a great overall improvement.

The information I've asked for should be available in the computer's manual.

Reaction score
Hi Floppy

Thanks for the reply, not sure if I'm being a bumbling buffoon or not. I don't mind tinkering,I did upgrade the memory all by myself but that was fairly easy as the new chips looked just like the old ones and I can find drivers and install upgrades and all that stuff but this one looks a touch trickier.

There are lots of cards in the case how do I tell which one is which and if it's PCI or AGP ?

Should I just forget the whole thing and tell him to buy simpler games.............I can afford a new card but not a new PC !

This isn't gonna be as simple as I thought is it ?

OOps just read the last line of your message. Soz, I'll have a look in the manual and get back.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Sorry, but don't waste your money ... your system is 50years old in technology terms. :(

Download "Everest Home Edition" and it will tell you all about your system.

;)

Reaction score
Hi Guys
I get the gist of what you are saying but I'm nothing if not a tight fisted g#t when it comes to splashing out money especially when I can't see the benefit of it. What I'm trying to say is that I don't need a rip snorting state of the art system all I need is one that the ankle snapper can play some of his games on. Apart from that we only use the PC for occasional internet usage and the odd piece of homework. In my book thats 20 odd quid for a graphics card versus 4000 miles on the motorbike !

The Tech Specs in the manual say that the video card is an AGP 2.0 video card (4x or 2x see manufacturers specs)....................soooooo am I right in saying that I can get any make card with 128mb as long as it is AGP (whatever that is) ?

What's all this AGP2x and 4x stuff, all the cards I look at are 8x will this make a difference, will it go bang ?

Stop sniggering at the back !

You are never too old to learn, just too old to understand :-(

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
No, it won't go bang, probably just won't work.

The Video card you have was a cracking little beaut in its day, and will stand you well if you stick to "games" that will run on it.

And theres the rub of 'finding' a better card for your system ... computer fair, secondhand corner maybe?

64 - 128 ... it ain't the all for some games just to have some more memory.

Buy an Xbox or something, but I'll say again ... spending any money on your system is just a waste.

Sorry, I not known to be subtle ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If it's just for the sake of your son playing games, I personally think it may be worth spending a little on a new card.

Just understand, your machine, even with new card, will never run any of today's more demanding games. You'll probably be able to play Sims 2 with a new card, I expect, and most games from two or so years ago, but it ain't ever gone run Doom 3, Far Cry or Half Life 2.

Take a look at this post Here and consider buying the Celestica Radeon 9200 256MB Video Card @ £32.00.

You said this:

What I'm trying to say is that I don't need a rip snorting state of the art system all I need is one that the ankle snapper can play some of his games on.

Sorry, but that's almost a contradiction if you decide to keep your current machine. It's games that do demand a rip snorting state of the art system.

A new video card will enable said ankle snapper to play many more games than he can at the moment, but your computer will still fall short of playing most new games.

You feeling under peer pressure? ;)

As Mucks suggested, maybe an X-Box or PS2 may be a better suggestion, a used console can be picked up for a very reasonable price.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. And if you need help installing card, come back here.

Reaction score
Once again I appreciate the responses.

I ran the program but there was no mention of the speed of the AGP port (trusting old soul ain't I opening files from people I dont know !)
Trouble is that the games he wants to play are not on X-box, ps2 or gamecube.

Might just take a punt on a card anyways and let you know how it goes.

THX again

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
if there is no mention of it then you more than likely dont have an AGP port, you will be able to get a PCI card from somewhere assuming you have a spare PCI slot

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
garfunkel said:
The Tech Specs in the manual say that the video card is an AGP 2.0 video card (4x or 2x see manufacturers specs)....................

I was assuming from this that there is an AGP slot.

I did actually search around to find specs but couldn't find much info apart from the fact that the current video card was listed. Nowhere was it mentioned whether video card slot was AGP or PCI.

Reaction score
The story so far...................
Got the new graphics card, plugged it all in and NO VIDEO SIGNAL, diagnostic codes indicate 'A PCI Bus failure has occurred, remove all expansion cards and restart system to determine if a resource conflict exists' If I remove the card then I get no video signal anyway !!!!!
Is it because the original card was Nvidia and the new one is ATI ?
How can I resolve this, any ideas ???

I did warn you I was a bit of a numpty !

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
A few questions:

What type of video card did you purchase?

Did you ever determine whether you definitely had an AGP slot?

Before installing card did you uninstall Nvidia drivers? (Start >> Control Panel >> add remove programs)

I think it's likely you haven't installed old video card drivers

Put the Nvidia card back in, remove old drivers.

When you reboot your onscreen image will look awful, don't worry.

Shut machine down, fit new card, boot.

Install ATI card drivers, reboot, set screen resolution and refresh rate.

If you're not sure of any of that, just ask here.

Latest ATI drivers can be downloaded from Here or Here

It's usually beneficial to use latest video drivers.

Reaction score
Ta Floppy and all posters,

did all that and more ! ******* thing has gone copletely **** up now. I think I'm gonna have to take it into the local PC shop cos it's all gone horribly wrong and I just don't think I'm gonna be able to resolve this even with all your help. I'm a beaten man, technology has got the better of me :-(

Thanks all for your help and advice, it really is appreciated. I think I've learnt my lesson, might just book myself into the local tech for a 'Computing for Numpties' course.

Ask a Question