Graphics card help

Reaction score
Hi, sorry if this is the wrong forum but;

I am gaming on a Packard Bell iMedia j2412 and the GFX card is a Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS, it is very laggy and i get very low FPS on the games i play (With Low Settings To!) and it crashes alot.

I am going to buy a new card, i am thinking about the GeForce 9600 GT, but what i want to know is the details about them, like will it fit in and improve from my old one etc.

Here's my comp : http://support.packardbell.com/uk/item/index.php?pn=PB80X19701&g=1400

Here's the GFX Card i want: http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/Computing/Accessories/nVidia+Graphics+Cards/SWEEX/GeForce+9600+GT/067568

That should be enough to check, because im useless and i don't know anything about them and what to check, so if possible, can you find out if it Fits/ will improve / is it compatible etc...

Thankyou!

Reaction score
Honestly, there's a thousand and one other reasons it could be lagging.

How much RAM do you have?
What programs load at startup?
What exactly is lagging on you?

to answer your question, yes, it looks like the graphics card will work. i gave the specs a quick glance- your motherboard has a PCIe x16, but it isn't PCIe 2, so make sure the card is backwars compatable, i'm not sure that they all are. graphics cards and PCIe are something i need to do more brushing up on myself, so maybe someone else can give a little more input.....

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi,

Yeah its compatible as both are PCI-E slot cards, the 8400GS is crap for gaming as it isn't really a gaming card, you can get that 9600GT £10 cheaper at Scan.co.uk.

You will also need a 6 Pin PCI-E connector on your PSU or 2 spare white molex connections to plug the adaptor into to power the card.

If your PSU is over 350W then you will be fine.

You will probably get about £20 on ebay for the 8400GS if you are lucky, use the money to get some more memory if you are running Vista and don't have 2Gb.

Ask a Question