Graphic Card Problem. Broken Brand New nVidia 9800GT Card

Reaction score
Hi,
I have had kind of a strange experience with my graphics cards today. When I turned on my PC this morning the monitor wouldn't show anything, it was just idle all the time no response. Then I opened my case and I heard that the graphic card was running in overdrive. The fan was going crazy, I thought the graphics card was dead and since it was nearly two years old I went out and bought a brand new nVidia 9800GT card.

But when I came home and put it in the monitor wouldn't show anything either. I know the monitor works because I tried plugin it into my laptop. Then after a few minuted the new graphic card started to go crazy and the fan was as noisy as the old graphic card.

Any idea what has happened. Have I just destroyed my new card and what could be causing this problem?

I don't know if the OS is starting up but I would doubt it. Even though the new graphic card started acting weird after a few minutes it didn't even show anything while it was running normal.

Reaction score
kasperbs said:
Hi,
I have had kind of a strange experience with my graphics cards today. When I turned on my PC this morning the monitor wouldn't show anything, it was just idle all the time no response. Then I opened my case and I heard that the graphic card was running in overdrive. The fan was going crazy, I thought the graphics card was dead and since it was nearly two years old I went out and bought a brand new nVidia 9800GT card.

But when I came home and put it in the monitor wouldn't show anything either. I know the monitor works because I tried plugin it into my laptop. Then after a few minuted the new graphic card started to go crazy and the fan was as noisy as the old graphic card.

Any idea what has happened. Have I just destroyed my new card and what could be causing this problem?

I don't know if the OS is starting up but I would doubt it. Even though the new graphic card started acting weird after a few minutes it didn't even show anything while it was running normal.

Sounds like a motherboard issue or power issue what PSU have you got? If you have another computer that is compatabile with the new card then you can try it in there and see if it works. Do you get any beeps when you power this system on?

Can you list your pc specs

Thanks

Reaction score
My PSU is a EZCool 550W about 2yr's old. I don't get any beeps when the pc starts and I don't get any flashing in the keyboard lights as I usually do. Maybe it's the motherboard after all!

Reaction score
kasperbs said:
My PSU is a EZCool 550W about 2yr's old. I don't get any beeps when the pc starts and I don't get any flashing in the keyboard lights as I usually do. Maybe it's the motherboard after all!

Looks that way im afraid, get your self another PSU to EZCool are not that good dont provide enough power in my opinion.

Get one of these.

http://www.advancetec.co.uk/acatalo...iet_&_cool_fully_compatible_5yr_warranty.html

You could try booting with one stick of ram in, also try it with just the nescsseary parts installed remove disk drives floppy drives, sounds cards, then see if the computer will boot up. Have you got any spare parts that you can check the parts to see wha works and what doesn't?

Reaction score
Thanks I will try booting with only the bare bones. Unfortunately I don't have any spare parts to try it out. I actually went to the store today (PC World UK) and asked them if they could check my graphics card for me, but I was told they couldn't because it could overload the board. I don't know what it means but that was what they told me.

Ask a Question